Who Holds the Copyright?

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Our names are written in sand.

In the world of literature, questions of ownership often arise. Scholars wonder if Shakespeare really is the author of Shakespeare's works. For some this is a hot debate. Same goes in biblical scholarship. Thoughts on the actual authorship of each book of the Bible precede the historical readings of each book in the Interpreters Bible, for example. Is Solomon really the author of the words of wisdom ascribed to him? Serious scholars wonder. Did the apostle Paul write all those epistles?


All these centuries later, I'm content to ascribe authorship of a certain body of Elizabethan plays and poems to William Shakespeare. The name really means little more to me than a time and place in English history. As for Paul's letters, they are the Pauline texts. Whether or not someone named Paul wrote them is immaterial. The wisdom stands outside and beyond Paul, whoever Paul was.


It's a hard thing in this age of memoir and oral history to detach text and the value of its wisdom from the life of the author..We seem to value like never before the individual voice and the individual experience. Even if we don't remember the names. The real point is that we recognize that within each of us exists a voice that is entitled to speak for its age and capable of expressing an experience that is at once individual and universal--and we don't have to be Shakespeare to do that.


Watchers of Ken Burns's documentary The War will likely remember that his oral history of World War II includes voices of ordinary people from the North, South, East, and West of the US. The names might not stick, but the place will--and so, especially, will the experience. Whatever they said that connects us to them and them and us to the cosmos will stick. Names are irrelevant.


Our names are written in sand; ownership is a myth. I think of this whenever I see watermarked photos on blogs or read copyright restrictions on posts. I wonder how I would feel if someone plagiarized my own photos or the work closer to my heart, my writing. I would be angry at first. But then, I know copycats--parasites--don't get far without a host. Anyway, if someone found something I wrote to be useful or meaningful, I'd be happy for that. The fact is, I don't know if anyone ever has plagiarized my work or used it without attribution.

In the big picture, it doesn't matter to me. Right here and now I feel that so long as I am a part of an active conversation about or through creative work, it means something to me that my work represent me and I, it. Nevertheless, I'd be thrilled to know I might create something that can do fine without me. I can hope the work will speak for itself.

Signing your work, claiming ownership, is a key to commercial success. Name recognition is everything. It can put food on the table. But what about the artist who doesn't sign, who doesn't show in a gallery, who doesn't measure success in these ways? Perhaps he or she has moved on or away from being commercially successful to being successful in some other way. Perhaps there are other ways of measuring success.

The artist who cares about the survival of ideas and thinking about ideas above and beyond all else is to my mind a success. Commercial success is another story. Anyway, the tide will roll in and take away those names in the sand.We will be left with what is true. We will call it art. We will breathe it.

Post a Comment

18 Comments

  1. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Hogwash.

    Our names may be written in sand, but our bodies are kept alive by money. This antiquated notion that real artists don't get paid is ridiculous. Back they they have rich patrons. Nowdays, we need to earn our own money and copyright is key to being able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    The irony of your anonymity amuses me greatly.

    You miss my point, which is that art lives beyond the artist because it connects each of us in ways that transcend individual identity (ego).

    Of course we all need to eat. Of course we all need to earn a living. I never said we didn't.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your generosity and ability to let go (of your writings) amazes me! You are indeed a selfless person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, your words are not hogwash. Perhaps the anonymous person doesn't know you the way I know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very deep thoughts and I can see your view. I feel honored when copied. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:38 PM

    Sandy, that is a very sage perspective.

    I have been confused since Easter, since my Church uses a lot of letters from St. Peter each Sunday in this time period. I found it difficult to reconcile Peter's background as an uneducated fisherman with the wisdom and insight of these attributed writings. Surely the hand of a more studied monk 1000 years later, I reasoned.

    But you are right: names don't matter. I say to myself, "It's the message, stupid."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Sandy, I stopped by the Funky Monkey to see your show. The place was closed, I didn't think it would be closed on Monday, silly me. I was like a little kid looking with hands cuffed around my eyes to see what was in there. The man sitting at a table outside looked at me kind of weird! I only got to see a few photos, but they were awesome!

    What a cute place, I will stop by again if I get the chance. I'm glad it's running for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy,
    Thanks so much for making the trip to Cheshire! That's really nice and thoughtful. There's some good coffee in there and great scones.

    Some folks got a little lost on Friday. Google let them down. I'm glad you made it in and out of bandit country OK.

    Digital Flower Pictures stopped by. It was great to meet another blogger. Do you know his blog? It's on my sidebar and is full of stunning flower photos.

    Take care, and thanks so much for going way up to Cheshire to have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The artist who cares about the survival of ideas and thinking about ideas above and beyond all else is to my mind a success. >>> very true. and each idea is a piece of art that's unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came to see your wordless, but happened to glance this. I hope you wouldn't mind my commenting here my opinion on the last half of the post.

    There is that saying: Immitation is the best form of flatery.

    It is easy to immitate and copy, but in the process the individual doing this act looses his/her innovativeness, his/her creativeness. It is the best in the individual's own interest to refrain from doing so, else I'm flattered that you found me worthy of copying or immitating or as you rightly said "the work will speak for itself".

    Liked your thoughts very much. :)

    Snatching the bread is a serious issue no doubt and it opens up yet another channel of discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My pictures are linked to a lot of websites. I generally try and track them down for at least a link to my site.

    I took a picture of a Passion Flower that is now on about 100 different sites. Its funny because there is nothing special about it. I originally tried to stop it but now kind of sit back and chuckle as it almost has a life of it's own. Some people seem to think since it is posted on the net that it is theirs to use.

    I agree that the Funky Monkey is hard to find and the sign is not lit up very well. It is a cool place and worth finding.

    Thanks for the plug for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy, I wish I had the time to visit your blog twice a day.

    There is so much to admire and ponder and cherish here, so many layers of life and joy.

    God bless

    David

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post .. as always

    David sent me ... but I do stop by at least once a week to lurk, read and look at your photos!

    :-Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandy - I made it over from David's this time on a major catch up!

    Yet another thought provoking post. I have dabbled in claiming copyright to try and protect any work related ideas but I fully agree with your concept of names in the sand. Anonymous shocked me with his/her rudeness - and amazed me with the anonymity! lol I think you answered so well - you are so selfless in your giving.

    The only thing I think I need to know authorship for is context. This is especially true of writings as the message can change according to whom it is aimed at and who the author is.

    I wish I got here more often. *sigh* So refreshing and relaxing. Thank you for all your visits at mine and your support.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I myself have no problem with people plagiarizing my work --- since I have virtually no original ideas, I figure I'm just passing them on :-) At least one of the original purposes of my site was to invite thought, so I definitely agree with your sentiment.

    I also agree with the hogwash guy, but I think that he is talking more about the business of writing than its spiritual underpinnings. From that standpoint, the whole notion of not taking credit for one's work becomes much more important.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Art connects everyone Sandy in many different ways. It is a talking point for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.