Today's Flowers: Roses and Friendship


Last Sunday, I went to see an old friend who used to be my editor when I was a small-town newspaper reporter.  She was a tough task-master and an excellent editor, who helped me become an effective writer, She also attended the same university and completed the same MA as I did--though she earned her sheepskin 15 years before I earned mine.  Many of her professors weren't dead by the time I arrived at University College, Dublin, in the mid-1990s, so we could reminisce about or just plain recall some of the same people bumping around the academy back in our days.  When we met up, she had roses for me, and I had roses for her--from the same shop.  She gave me my favorite rose colors--yellow and orange.  I captured this yellow one while I was working at my computer after school one afternoon this week.  

My friend and I went to see Philomena, a movie starring Dame Judy Dench that tells the story of an Irish woman searching for the son she bore at Roscrea Abbey when she was a teen-ager and whom the nuns sold to an American couple in 1952.  It's a beautifully filmed true story full of surprises.  Judy Dench does a marvelous job of capturing what it is to be human, to endure loss, to forgive, and to live.  (Click here for a story about the real Philomena Lee.)

Post a Comment

15 Comments

  1. A wonderful post as always and such a moving, aching heart story!!! I'm so with you and all that you support, Sandy, thank you for sharing this story and history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely rose!
    I have heard of the movie Philomena and want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. will have to check out that movie...it sounds intriguing...its cool to have cross generational friends like that as well...so much we can learn from each other....

    ReplyDelete
  4. great minds think alike. and i will try to catch that movie on hbo some time. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun to visit with friends from the past...lovely rose. I'm wanting to see Philomena...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing like old friends to visit with.

    Great photo. I love yellow roses. (Don't tell anybody)

    Sounds like an intriguing movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always so nice to visit with an old friend. The rose is beautiful. The movie sounds good. I'll have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful connection. It's always nice to have a mentor that stays in touch. I love the orangeish, coral color roses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful rose. What a sweet gesture to trade roses. You are blessed to have such a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were sad stories. They didnt keep good records back then and so one could never find out by going back.
    Today with sperm donors, we have sisters finding each other by just plain luck, bumping into each other at school or work. I thought my God. What happens of they dont know they are related and marry?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good friends think alike, even when they haven't seen each other for a while! The movie is on my list and I have read quite a bit about that terribly sad piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The yellow rose symbolizes friendship and makes a beautiful bridge between you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:36 PM

    interesting movie...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting movie and such a beautiful shot of the rose.
    it's always so wonderful to visit with an old friend.
    thanks for this lovely post, sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As we grow older it gets more important to be able to share memories of times gone by.
    Thank you for the link to the Philomena Lee story. Al ove the world there are so many people who have been torn from their birthright of knowing who they are and whence they come. I hope at least the Irish records are set free.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.