Skywatch Friday: They Are We

I am having one of those, "Hmmm....Did I use this one already?" moments as I post this photo for Skywatch Friday.  I probably did.  In fact, I know I did.  Because whether I am looking east or west, it is the same image.  It is the marvelous light that we wait for, that draws us out, that keeps us sane.  Though I love a good storm, I begrudge the absence of the sun, and I fly out the door at the first indication that it has returned.  It's not that I mind the dark or the gloom of a good storm; it is to say that this is what love does.

A remarkable thing happens on the beach after a storm.  People come out because the storm is over.  The after-the-storm people are not your garden-variety beach sluts who slather on the grease and sprawl on blankets, the ear buds in and the designer take-out perched in the sand, their eyes closed as they dream of all the people on the other side of their eyelids taking in how they look in their bathing suits.  These are the people who stood at the window and watched the storm and were thunderstruck by the relentless drama of a storm that is at its heart objective.  It's not about you on the beach; it's about the storm.  These humble people carry the sun back onto center stage, and they dance with their children.  These people are about respect.  It's easy to believe the sun shines for them.  I go to the beach for them.  And for the sun.

Skywatch Friday



Post a Comment

19 Comments

  1. The light draws everyone... Beautiful. Happy SWF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it, lots of people do go out to the beach after a storm.

    And hey, I'm certain that I have reposted lots of photos. Especially with Instagram I can't remember what I've posted and what I haven't where.

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles....yeah i would probably go to the beach for them as well....gives me an idea for a story as well....smiles....

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun, they are nature lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful light and a wonderful capture -- whether it's making a second appearance or not! Thanks for sharing the beauty! Hope your week is going well, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A repeat or not, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to the beach after a storm. It must be spectacular to welcome the sun again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love photos of a beach!It´s a great place to be.Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember you did a post with the family with the sun on their backs. Is this the same day? It is a beautiful shot no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful shot of the light Sandy, whether you have shown it before or not. I love your summing up of the primeval awe that some people, connected with the Earth, still feel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy watching a storm, it can be beautiful! Love this shot, Sandy! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful photo! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the action and energy in this shot... nicely captures the feel after a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "garden variety beach-sluts"! I almost blasted my tea over the computer screen! Nice line!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honestly,I didn't think about this until I stopped by. What an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could post the same picture everyday as long as you keep giving us your words so full of wisdom and truth! And humor. I will be borrowing the term 'beach sluts' (in my personal conversations) because we have way too dang many of those guys and gals on our beaches here in Florida. We have to work hard to find the quiet beaches. (Back in Oregon, you don't see many of those sluts...it's too cold on the beach there. That suits me fine).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.