Blog Your Blessings: 'Everybody Sit Down!'

Part of the challenge of teaching, like the challenge of parenting, is waiting to see the results and accepting that I may never see the results. I have to live in the hope that I am getting something right and that the right something is landing in the minds and hearts of the kids in my classes. (I have the same hope for my daughter on a much deeper, personal level.)

This week's blessing came from Mark on Monday. He gave me a pretty clear indication something was working in his class. He's a sixth grade boy who couldn't read for beans six weeks ago and often refused to read aloud in class for that reason. He'd come in nervous and agitated and fiddle and fidget with whatever he had. When the music teacher issued him drumsticks, I thought my game was up.


Then Monday came. I handed the kids copies of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz that I had bought because that's what they said they wanted to read. They were thrilled to hold new books. They were even careful not to crease the covers so they could keep them new.


Once we got inside, though, there was no stopping them. They took turns reading and even reread when they felt their first time through was short on inflection. We did not get through the first chapter in 45 minutes for this reason. When the bell rang at the end of the class, most of the kids stood up immediately. But then Mark bellowed, "Everybody sit down!" He was not finished with the paragraph and he was not going to be interrupted by any bell. They sat down. He finished. End of class.


Amen. And thank you L. Frank Baum for the magic that keeps these kids in their seats and keeps me going for another day.


Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

30 Comments

  1. I like Mark! LOL

    I would love to go back in time and introduce the grown-up me to my old teachers, and tell them how much their teaching meant to me in later years. I didn't fully appreciate many of my teachers until it was too late to thank them...but what a difference they made in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank goodness for teachers that care about students and their progress. That's you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to people who serve as inspiration to others to continue moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a splendid teacher, Sandy. I think that many teachers have surely to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story that makes it all worthwhile. And it also goes to show that those - like you - who go the extra mile reap the greatest reward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a nice story Sandy! I am sure you are making a big difference, I have found in my own life that the phonic approach to the teaching of reading and spelling is not just the best way but the only way for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is magic! Makes it all worth while....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fantastic! I remember that I loved The Wizard of Ox when I was a kid. I also loved Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. There's another suggestion for you. It has it all!

    Peace - D

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome! books are a wonder! and what a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark is proof of the positive impact you have on these kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Good for Mark. His own bumper sticker: "If you can read this, thank Ms. Sandy." Someday, maybe he will!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES!!!!! I love this! It makes you realize there is truly hope! How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How your feelings must soar to see the children taking an interest in what and how you are teaching them. Hopefully many of the tiny seeds you sow can grow and flourish in time within your pupils.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's magic, in every way, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandy.

    If you ever wonder if you are making a difference in these kids life, just remember this incident and you will know! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story caused me to chuckle... it was definitely humorous! BUT, it also caused a little tear to sweep through my heart. It was incredibly sweet and poignant. Bless Mark. And bless you, Sandra. "Many shall rise up and call you blessed." Not just the children in your classes, but many of their parents who have needed help and only knew how to hope for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! You are an awesome teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when I read your words and can "see" the action! That's terrific and such a blessing! I agree. . . give them something they want to read and teach using it! May you always see the blessings in teaching, even when they seem small.

    My blessing is up now also. AND Neo has narrowed down the list somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a wonderful story... and Mark sure sounds to have the makings of a possible scholar... and probable management potential somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Beautiful story! Its amazing to hear how these classics can still engage our youth. You are an awesome teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Whoopee! A major break through! Leave it to Dorothy to grab their attention!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous6:06 PM

    BRAVO to Mark … your class … and to YOU! Thanks for sharing ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:10 PM

    You are an asset in your field. I really like the bumper sticker that Mark should get. I have a feeling that many of your students could display this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sandy,
    thank heaven for teachers like you!
    You do indeed make a difference, I believe and I know that.
    Joy and loads of patience to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was wonderful and must have made everything worthwhile for you. I did enjoy it.
    Congratulations on PFTD.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH heavens Sandy! My most favorite children's book (and I have many of those favorites)...Mr Baum...he was the bomb! I love this post...hope you are feeling well and that Kitty made it home okay!
    hugs
    Sandi
    ps
    congrats on POTD mention!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful problem to have! REminds me when I was teaching, I'd read the kids a story during the time they had to eat their lunches. If some of the kids were too noisy when I started reading, the others would tell them "SSSHHHH - she's started!"

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is great, Sandy! It is wonderful that they have a teacher like you that really cares about them. It makes ALL the difference in the world when kids know they are respected and cared for. I am glad there is a Sandy Carlson out there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now that was impressive. As a not exactly great student I can identify with Mark's nervousness with respect to reading to the rest of the class. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Isn't that the best felling ever?!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.