One Single Impression: Sapid

From Writing in Faith


A book about dogs--
How they think and feel--

Says they do much of their
Getting to know the world and you
Through their noses.


We humans don't do that.
We forget almost instantly
To notice the aromas
That shape us.

So we face that advice
About breathing deeply
And one moment at a time
And here and now

How so very beautiful life is
If we stop and breathe
And know...

We need to be told;
We are not dogs.

One Single Impression

From the Online Etymology Dictionary:
sapid
1630s, from L. sapidus “savory,” from sapere (see sapient).

sapient
"wise," late 15c., from O.Fr. sapient, from L. sapientem (nom. sapiens), prp. of sapere "to taste, have taste, be wise," from PIE base *sep- "to taste, perceive" (cf. O.S. an-sebban "to perceive, remark," O.H.G. antseffen, O.E. sefa "mind, understanding, insight;" see sap (n.1)).

Post a Comment

22 Comments

  1. I like your friend - and your musings!



    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes! Perfect words! And just the ones I needed to hear tonight! Thank you, Sandy. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me smile. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. We aren't dogs??? Hmmm I will have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes they do!! Dogs are so special...they add so much to our lives!
    Thanks for the words today!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot and verse!

    Carolina Mts

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is lovely Sandy. What a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so funny and I'd like to rebut with... we are all dogs lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonders you know Sandy, love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good evening, Sandy! I love your poem, it is so balanced and well just right. But I remember by smell. But I was raised by cats, too. You dog, me cat.
    ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true. Dogs take in everything just by scent. We miss so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great verse Sandy! I suppose we have a nose for nosing around unlike the canine kind. They live with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dogs are better than men sometimes =)

    humming how beautiful life is

    ReplyDelete
  14. The saying "Stop and smell the roses" comes to mind after reading this lovely poem.,)
    Have a great Sunday dear Sandy,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very true. Great words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:46 PM

    Nice poem, Sandy. I like it.
    Yes, We need to be told; We are not dogs.

    And sometimes We need to be told we are not dogs.

    http://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is indeed beautifully said...Thanks Sandy for yet another lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you and OSI are still going. good to see. I seem to have fallen out the rounds for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a unique perspective to experience life through the nose. This brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know, sometimes I just try to imagine how it would be to perceive of the world first through my nose. Interesting word there.

    Sorry I haven't been around lately. There has been a lot going on. My Mom is fighting breast cancer and I am helping her take care of 3 of her great grand-children. It's quite a challenge to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous12:42 PM

    the nose...smelling...remembering...ah...I like that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.