Blog Your Blessings: Loving the Hell out of Them

Halloween, a full moon, a time change, a day off,and the World Series together made for one humdinger of a week at school. By Thursday, I wondered if I was a zoo keeper or a teacher or the turnkey of a nut house.

At the end of the day, I curled up in my favorite chair and called parent after parent to make the dreaded behavior phone calls. It's a miserable way to end the day. I decided to shake off the misery this time, though. Instead of "there's a problem," I heard myself saying, "I love your son. Love him to death, but...." Over and over. I love your son. Love your daughter. But. And I said what I had to say.

"For the good that'll do" my cynical heart said to my tired mind as I plugged the phone into the charger and called it a night.

Today, though, I taught my kids in a blissfully peaceful room. After I told them they are like family to me, that I spend more time with them than I do with anyone else in my life, that their success means everything to me, that I respect them. But. They have to give that much back.

Love. Like. Care. Respect. Yes.

And then it was peaceful. And quiet. And productive.

On his way in, one of the baddest of the bad boys had said, "My mom told me you said I could be President someday if I could just sit still in a chair. You say that, Ms. Carlson?"

"I did. It's true." The kid lit up. And he was good.

So I think I figured something out. You can love the hell out of people. And it feels good.

Post a Comment

22 Comments

  1. Aahhh. I get it now. Love the hell out of them.

    Summa us are a li'l slow some days Miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:03 PM

    LOVE CAN DO WONDERS ISN'T IT...LOL!!

    if he really turns out to be some big person and tells this sotry as defining moment...how cool will be that!!..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, Sandy, I've always known this to work with a lot of people... Positive re-enforcement! Yea! You are the smartest teacher I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a teacher like you. Talk about being blessed...you are definitely one of my favorite people.
    Many blessings on you and all your future Presidents!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. A neat lesson for you-and I'm glad you shared it with us too. Love really can do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think of the changes we could make in this world if we all resolved to 'love the hell out of them'! Thanks for the lesson and the call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you are quite the teacher. you've hit on something- love and great expectations. carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great insight. Some truth, some hope, some praise. It all seemed to come together well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hear Hear! The best thing for these kids is a teacher like you, these kids are truly blessed!!!!! I am very proud to be your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:47 PM

    I read this on my way to Skywatch. All I can say is, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *sniff*

    Beautiful post Sandy. Want to come over here and love my son a bit now? He's spent the week trying on some new friends and new behaviors. He's discovered that they're not all they're cracked up to be, but it's been quite a week...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a positive way to attack negative behavior. Good for you! You are definitely a blessing in their lives and I suspect in some way they are a blessing in your life. Try to rest and recoop this weekend. Maybe you can keep that key in your pocket for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandy: Love dies bridge a lot of gaps that can be conquered.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sandy -You are one of the Good ones!!! --thank you for putting your care into action You are awesome!!I am teary eyed -- as i read this and remember another post a few years ago that you did, that was similar so I know this is not a first. Keep up the Great work and Sharing your loving example w/ all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my alltime favorite of your posts. Simple in it's telling, pure in it's truth, profound in it's message...

    I love the words that fall out of your heart... but, I love the heart that forms and holds
    them even more.

    I so want to be your student.... Oh, wait!!! I am.

    Now, if I could only find a way to sit on a porch, sipping tea with you and soaking up the delight of being your friend. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sons each had a couple of teachers like you along the way. They were wonderful, and my boys and I will never forget them. You are among the true gems in the teaching profession and in life itself. I'm proud to "know" you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Teachers who care are angels on earth. And that's you! While teaching, I also made as many 'good calls' to as many homes [as bad calls']. The results were phenominal! The beaming faces of the kids who generally always behave, as well as the parents who were thrilled to hear the good things about their kids. It had really positive effects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a super important lesson that needs to be said over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah! Beautiful!! Thanks for that. Helps begin my day beautifully. Now let me go make a list of the people i need to love to death, and list things i love about each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great lesson! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just catching up here and there... lurking... but this one elicits a comment. :)

    "Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

    Isn't it just? You demonstrate it so beautifully.
    (1 Cor 13:13 as if you didn't know!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.