Andrew Needs a Real Dog

If the original Stepford Wives made your blood run cold, you better hope to stay away from any nursing home that acts on the findings of researcher Andrew Ng's study of robots as human companions.

Ng's study found that humans can warm up to plastic and wire in the shape of a canine almost as readily as they do to the flesh and fur dogs that have been our steadfast and loyal companions since we first civilized ourselves by the fire.


Ng's research involved dividing into three a group of 38 seniors in a nursing home and exposing one third to Sparky, a rescued street mutt turned pet-therapist, one third to AIBO, a Sony-made robot, and one-third, the control group, to neither. The visits lasted 30 minutes.


At the end of this 8-week experiment, the residents exposed to the real pup said Sparky was their confidant. Those exposed to AIBO said it took a bit longer to warm up to it but did. Ng says that both groups showed a decrease in loneliness and an increase in attachment to their visitors.


So what?


So if it's your job to make the old folks feel good inside the nursing home, mechanical dogs are probably ultimately more cost effective than the kind that eat and pee, require the occasional bath, and sometimes get sick.


If you're a human being who has ever loved a dog, you feel pretty bad for Ng. Because you know there's no replacement for the head of your resting dog heavy and warm and trusting on your thigh, the wag of the tail that says, "I'm happy you're here, friend;" the eye contact that reminds you, that you, too, are part of that natural world that is full of mystery and has a heart that beats with love for you.


Remember
The Stepford Wives? The real horror of that movie was that the husbands were as inhuman as the pretend wives they created. The men were rejecting the integrity of life itself when they discarded the thinking, feeling, dynamic nature of their wives. The real horror of this movie is that the robotic wife replacements merely reflected the unthinking selfishness and cruelty of husbands.

There's nothing like looking into the eyes of a dog and seeing a kinship that stretches back to the first fire; no dim and glassy reflection of ourselves in a synthetic canine eyeball can replace that.

I know a woman who is a pet therapist. She is wheelchair bound, and she inherited her dog from her now deceased son. The two of them visit hospitals and nursing homes in all kinds of weather all year. Recently, the dog celebrated his 300th hour of voluntary pet therapy at a city hospital. The hospital feted him as if he were a visiting dignitary. He is that hospital's greatest asset; he is the face of the caring we all seek. He is also a regular communicant in the church I attend. Nobody bats an eye when he receives Communion. Nobody doubts the integrity of his soul.


Poor Andrew Ng needs a dog.

Post a Comment

18 Comments

  1. robot dogs... so creepy and sooooo wrong.

    I fear for the human race sometimes, I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic about robots. When I lost my hearing a decade ago, I had a cochlear implant. It is a mini-computerized hearing device to help hearing impaired like me. Since then I became popular among friends as "bionic woman." It's funny and interesting life to be part time "robot." Some of my friends have dogs that help them hear. It takes years to train a dog to do the hearing for them. I think a robotic dog will be a good substitute and less expensive to keep for those hearing impaired. Thanks for dropping by my blog yesterday. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating post all the way through. Much to ponder here.

    (The original Stepford Wives was far superior to the remake, imho.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. I agree, Dr. Hawkins , a spiritual teacher, says that we truly don't understand the wagging tail and the purr of a cat. It is filled with so much love and mystery.

    We just recently bought a little Sheetzu and she is adorable. She has added so much for our home and so much to our children. I have never owned a dog before since I have always been a cat person. However, I have to say, our little Kai-Ying has wrapped herself around my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This guy is way off base.

    I remember when part of the original Stepford Wives was filmed in Redding, CT. Right up the street from our house.

    Sandy, I saw in a previous post that you are going to have an exhibit, details, please!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the study, Sandy, and I am the ricer for having read your post, for it reinforces my own beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its just wrong wrong wrong .. adopt a pet .. a dog or a cat .. but dont adopt a 'bot


    David sent me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got as far as "I know a woman who is a pet therapist." ... and gave my baby sister a ring-up. Then read your article to her. So what's the big deal!?!

    She is languishing in a state of "what next?" as her sons are graduating (younger) from high school, and in first year of university.

    PET THERAPIST!! Bloody fantastic! She is magical with people ... and adores animals. We put a potentially marvelous "bee in her bonnet." Many thanks for an inspirational and wonderfully written piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tink that if they extended the study over a longer period than 30 minutes there would be a difference. This is a really limited scope.

    I can see how robots might work better for some people with disabilities than dogs to do the service work. For people with severe alergies, for instance, or people who just don't like animals. No dog should be subjected to a home that doesn't really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Robots for mechanical functions, yes, why not? Robots for emotional support, so sad, but we are so lonely; we so much want love without complications; and we are so adaptable. Business travelers tend to switch the TV on as soon as they get into their rooms; if I'm home alone for any extended period (even with my good dog Sam,) I'll switch on the radio; kids get parked in front of TV's all the time; etc. etc. Of course we'll adapt to robotic dogs - hell's bells, we used to have pet rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all who have stopped here and offered thoughts. I do appreciate it.

    Billy, I'm with you on the first Stepford Wives. The recent rash of remakes has been wholly unnecessary.

    Ebb Tide, you're a woman of spirit and soul. I'm glad you have that inplant and that the technology is working for you and not replacing you!

    John Michael, that thrills me about your sister. The dog to which I referred in this post works at Waterbury Hospital in Connecticut. Your sister might have a look at their site as background info. The presence of dogs in that place tells me it's a good hospital. It's a wonderful program.

    Thanks again, all, for bringing your perspective to this thought.

    The pup above, by the way is my Cuchulainn, who was my best buddy when I lived in Belfast and who came home with me to be my best buddy for another 10 years. Some friends, like this furry one, are irreplaceable. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:16 PM

    I don’t think I’d trust him with a dog. What I’d give him is a xerox machine in a busy office; and I would make him maintain it, care for it, repair it, and grieve over it as we all do all the time. At his own expense. The experience will surely cure his robotaphilia.
    Hasty Ruminations

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is someone who functions quite well in the world and apparently has no soul...maybe he's the one with the robot fetish...
    Sandi
    ps
    I've almost stopped saying David sent me, maybe Ng could figure out a stamp for my comments that says it up front?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto - I need a "any key" that types "David sent me" at one stroke! lol
    I am a little late in the day and came via your birch pictures, but so glad.
    What a sad world we live in. I am a cat person, but have had a dog (or two). Nothing can replace that real eye, that real purr, or tail wag. They support us through so much - how can a hunk of metal do that?
    Beautifully written. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why not go and dress like a dog one of those "intelligent" self-moving vacuum cleaners? Double duty. ;-)
    I remember having read some years ago about a (Swiss?) study about chatting. A group of chatters "talked" to actual people, the other group unbeknownst to them to a computer program. It turned out that the subjects "talking" with a computer were just as happy about their contacts as those chatting with actual human beings. Now, they did not know there was no human involved, that people would get "attached" knowing their object of affection was a robot, is more than astonishing. Then again, remember that security blanket or teddy we loved even though we knew it was only a piece of fabric? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is sad dogs replace humen attentions our seniors. Where are the humens? Most people are dumped into nursing homes I wish more people visited the elderly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why cant people love each other WE are always looking for subatites for the real thing. The dog is a animal we have robatized to replace humen love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robot dogs - not sure about that Sandy. It's funny because when I read this post I was thinking about the movie Westworld! I personally think there is no substitute for a faithful canine companion. Dogs (real ones!) are great therapy for older people and those who are sick. Cats make great pets too and don't need to be taken for walks which is great for those who aren't very able-bodied.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.