Domestic Life

My call
Stopped him
Saved her, maybe
She always went back 
To the living room
The noise
The man she loved.

I had my water.
I would be OK.
Everything is OK,
She would say,
And I would lose all sense
Of time
Amid lies.
She loved me
And tried to hold it together.

That was the best she could do.

He yelled and slammed and hovered
Until she said those magic words:

I’m sorry.

And then silence came

And I would listen for two sets of footsteps,
Retreating voices
Remembering the children are asleep,
Bathroom noises, box-spring noises--

Clues she was alive.


In the morning
She would say
I love you, honey,
As he left for work.

I would know then: she survived.
I lived it again:
The pain the fear
The loud noise yelling

Mom, I call.
Come to me!
She comes
And I imagine her 
A skeleton, the walking dead
A tattered life.
I am three, I know cartoons
And TV shows with magic and witchcraft:
A tattered life I can imagine.

I need a drink of water.
Stripped of life,
My mother responds to my call.

As I stop the noise
For a moment
My father
Her drunk husband
Fills the air with threats
And the unimaginable.

Look at the pictures from back then and see
How she ages in just a few years
(She would blame us later; she had to.)

I am three, like I said.
Then four, five, six, seven….

Here I am now.
Fifty-three
They are gone,
Yet I can’t stop wondering
If she will make it.

Post a Comment

0 Comments