Desk Drawer

Where did all that come from, Adella asks. A desk drawer, most likely, I reply.

Park Lane.


Oh.

What is here?


Six more copies 

Of Mom’s engagement announcement

In the Advocate

Deeply yellowed.

(Not so for the two laminated copies

I found among papers that

Came from the same desk.)

A postcard from May

To Marjorie:

“We are here and enjoying ourselves.

Give the girls ice cream.”

A letter from Laurence to Marge:

“I had Mom send my cards

As I could only find the 

Mushy type here.”

From Gary to Marge:

“Thanks for the sawbuck,”

And a description of basic training

During the Cold War.

Receipts,

Check stubs,

A clipping about

A stock-car driver,

A list of Bible verse for difficult times

A list of birth dates

For May, her children, and their spouses and children.

What is all this? 


An accumulation of moments

Captured conversations

Between my grandmother and

Her siblings and her Mom

Her pride in my Mother

Her attention to detail.

Here was her fortune:

Her family, her home.


Post a Comment

0 Comments