Atlas II

Falling--how far?
The clay vessel releasing
How many stars
Into what fathomless night?
Who was there?
Whose hand,
What sound,
And who would have wanted to know?

The clay vessel:
A shattering or a release?
Sharp edges adrift in the universe, or no?

Once, I would have wanted answers,
To know what had happened
And when.

To know
Who reached into the universe,
Turning and turning the stars
Into constellations,
And perhaps why.

Now, though, I don’t care.
For me, it is enough to look and wonder
What it would be like
To feel the hands that made this happen.


Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. Such confident, mature poetry, Sandy!

    "Now, though, I don’t care.
    For me, it is enough to look and wonder
    What it would be like
    To feel the hands that made this happen."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.