This Land Is My Land...

I caught this image of Lady Liberty last summer, when Adella and I were leaving New York for a cruise to Bermuda as the guests of some very dear friends.  This image belies the scores upon scores of people who circled round her that they might pay her homage.  The view from the front was very different from this view.  What you can't see here is how many people were in line that day to see Liberty and how many were on cruise boats to get in line to see her.

These were ordinary people who were there for ordinary reasons.  If they were anything but ordinary, they would not have been on a Circle Line boat, after all.  These outstanding, ordinary people wanted to touch history, wanted to touch freedom, wanted to know the time and place of becoming American for so many people.  I love ordinary.  Ordinary is about believing in the basic idea of the right to life, liberty, and happiness no matter who you are or where you come from.  I am very happy to be ordinary.

Be ordinary.  Be happy.  Look everyone in the eye and smile.  Love this world.  Love joy.  This is our dream.


Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. ordinary....yes ...I like that....saludos Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember taking a photo on Liberty Island in late 1990s of the twin towers in the background. Not knowing what the future held...I loved walking to the top of the crown. We took the first ferry out and the lines were still long. today I couldn't climb all those steps but sure glad I did then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really into ordinary, ordinary is very okay.

    I have an uncle's diary from his time in World War II and in the diary he writes about getting on a troop ship somewhere in the New York area and he then writes that he had a lump in his throat as he passed by Lady Liberty on his way to north Africa. So I'm really wanting to see the Statue of Liberty if we ever make it to New York just because I want to see what he saw over 70 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully stated....
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first sight of her from an ordinary plane on our first visit to NYC. And then our trip on the ordinary Circle Line. Yup -- I had heart palipitations just like every ordinary person does when they first see her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, this country was founded by ordinary people by extraordinary means. God bless America. May freedom ring always. Thanks for hosting the #SWF fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see this beautiful and oh so famous statue. Your words touched my heart Sandy . Hope the trip went well too, lucky you.

    Just rereading some old comments at My Real Life Reviews this aft, where I am blogging quite a bit again. Thought I'd stop in to say Hi and to see what was new here.

    Have a lovely evening.GHH



    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.