Skywatch Friday: Morning over the Mayflower II


Last Sunday, we had breakfast in Plymouth, Massachusetts, and paid our respects to the Mayflower II.  This ship is a replica of the actual bath tub that brought so many religious malcontents and adventurers to a continent that was doing just fine without them,thank you very much.  Nevertheless, here we are.  My mother's family can claim Mayflower descendants, which is great fun and a good reason to do some research. (This fact of our ancestry has had the effect of annoying the hell out of my father's mother, may she rest in peace, and my own in-laws for reasons I can't fathom.  This fact also impressed the ladies sitting next to us at Plimoth Plantation last week when we had our Thanksgiving feast.  You thought my nephew was the next Dalai Lama the way the school librarian with the Budweiser in her bag and some claim to Mayflower ancestry was taking his picture.  I just think it's cool and fun and interesting and a good reason for reading more.  I am a nerd.  And what I love about New England is that people dress like me and talk like me and comb their hair the same way.  In November, we eat the same stuff.  It's good.  It's home.  And, yes, my ancestors couldn't get along in England and robbed Indians.  We're not perfect, but we try.)

Skywatch Friday

Post a Comment

24 Comments

  1. oh, you made me laugh. spot on, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mysterious picture of the Mayflower with sky and your lively commentary. All our histories are mixed bags, the bitter with the best,
    why not celebrate and learn ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful photo and post for SWF!Thank you for sharing and have a nice weekend,Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile. Out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes!! You made my day, Sandy!! Thanks for the laugh and the giggles and, yes, spot on indeed!!! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please forgive me but your post reminds me of the song "I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky ...." all in fun of course.
    My Mother's family was Irish of undistinguished origin. My Dad's family were Danish Baptists who couldn't stand the Lutherans. But then joined the Lutheran church as soon as they got over here. It is all so confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:33 PM

    Ha ha!

    Lovely shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:48 PM

    I have boats , water and sky today too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:48 PM

    I have boats , water and sky today too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:48 PM

    I have boats , water and sky today too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool boat, but it must have scared the crap out of the "indians".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy: I had to stop for a laugh at your mention of "a replica of the actual bath tub"---loved it! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute post, Sandy! I love your sky shot! It is fun researching your ancestors. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful photo!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Traffic picture! cool shot..

    ReplyDelete
  16. a bit of history, ours-all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Sandy...
    I'm so envious. What a beautiful shot of an incredible vessel. She's lovely. I've only been to New England once and that was to visit my husband's Grandmother. She lived in Connecticut. I was mesmerized by the beauty I saw there, and I would love to return.
    Thank you for sharing the photograph. It is splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. fantastic shot! looks like a painting!

    happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  20. The ship looks battle ready and like it has pierced a hole in the canvas of sky, exposing a new world.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you also made me chuckle

    love this dreamy photo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too funny. Great photo, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a great story

    You guys have a very late Thanks giving. Should be in October to balance things out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. the right connections mean everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.