One Single Impression: Embroidery


One pelican.
One dolphin.
One white heron.
One woman.

One mother with a child
Asks me to take their picture
To capture them with that first,
New, magical snow
On Topsail
(Where she grew up,
Though she lives in Boca now.).

They point to the dolphin.
I take the photo.

The pelican skims the surface of the water
With knowledge and skill born in the time
Of dinosaurs and hermit crabs
And turtles resuming their conversation
With the sea.

The mother with a child
Asks me over and over if I’d like my own picture
Taken with that first snow. 
She wants to do this for me.
She is lovely.

How to tell her
That I am not here,
That I am not worthy of the snow or sun,
And I am waiting for that one heron
To take flight in front of me again
And bless the day with silence and solitude,

That I may begin again,
That I might be here.

One Single Impression

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. You have such a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine and deep poem, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your free mind
    expresses itself beautifully
    in tight
    poetry
    form.
    I appreciate the
    inspiration, the work,
    the back ground,
    and the luck it takes
    to produce such a little
    gem, Sandy.



    ALOHA from Honolulu!
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do indeed have a way with words, Sandy! Thank you for sharing the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful poem. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so very deep. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautifully crafted! Loved this
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have painted a beautiful picture with your words Sandy. You have captured a part of your spirit with these words. Extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for your post today. it helped me understand this poem and your feeling of not being there.

    i am sorry that you feel like you gave up your dream. i hope it can still come true for your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't exactly understand why/how you're not there. Maybe only in Spirit? The ending is sad, especially the part where it takes of being undeserving. Hope you're not unhappy Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can feel it. I know this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this the first time I read it but now, having read your subsequent post, it means even more.


    I meant to add on the above post that Sherman Alexie is a wonderful writer...I didn't even know that Diary of a Part-Time Indian was supposed to be a YA novel...I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poems are always heartfelt and profound Sandy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.