Our World Tuesday: Surf City

Surf City announces itself with a beautiful sign alongside this old observation tower from the Operation Bumble Bee days.  This ramshackle structure that has survived countless hurricanes is sporting a sheet of plywood that wasn't there last summer.  Time catches up with all of us--even if we are government!
From August 9, 2012
That is, unless the Navy gets a hold on a can of white paint.  This tower has been added onto and put to some secret purpose on Topsail.

;

From August 9, 2012
The neighbor of the owner of this jazzy little house wondered why the slow driving down his street.  He disappeared behind the house as I raised my camera.  And then we skedaddled because he made us as nervous as we made him.  
From August 9, 2012
Here's one of my favorite fiberglass turtles on the island . This one used to be front of town hall.  Now it's in front of a gift shop.  There are many surfers up and down Topsail.  I seem to see them heading into the waves but not quite coming back.  I think I lose interest though I do share there love and respect of the waves.
From August 9, 2012
Clyde likes to stop for a drink when we're out for an excursion.  Designer water out of the bottle, please.  Save the tap and the bowl for some other dog!
From August 9, 2012

Post a Comment

16 Comments

  1. That Clyde is a lucky dog. He gets to travel with the pack and even gets designer water. :) Time catches up with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a dog...I love those sea horse shutters-how original and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute pup! i like those seahorse shutters, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool turtle!
    Clyde is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Clyde is winner! Of course, he would drink from a bottle and not a bowl like the less-than-human doggies!! Love the sea horse shutters, too! Glad you got a shot! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those shutters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool folk art, Sandy!


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    <(-'.'-)>

    > < } } ( ° >

    > < } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by the observation tower. The engineer in me wants to know who is going to change the bulbs on the can lights on the exterior.

    I love the seahorse house. I've taken pictures of peoples houses, gates, mailboxes, etc sometimes they object. Why decorate if you don't want it appreciated?

    Clyde is an amazing dog for being able to drink out of the bottle. I've noticed that some trail runners who bring their dogs have very nice fabric collapsible bowls for their dogs to give them a drink during these hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots Sandy How I love the sea.
    Dogs are cute. Sure . They need a high chair and table napkin around the neck and a silver bowl to eat from at the dining room table.
    They can be as sophisticated as any one else.It's a small thing to offer mans' best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos and what a cute light blue house! :)
    I've just made my blog private, so if you'll enjoy me, please send me your email address :) I would be glad! :)

    Lovely August days to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fiber glass turtle looks good. The building looks important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:36 AM

    That reflection in the turtle is amazing - great shot!

    And what a charming wooden house - I could live there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice pix! The seahorse house reminds me of in Maine somewhere when we stopped to take a picture of a house with fishing floats covering the whole side of the weathered house --and the guy came out looking like he might want to shoot us! We skedaddled, but I got the picture. (Why would you want such a darling house if you didn't want people to enjoy them?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fun glimpse into Topsail. I love those seahorse shutters and the cool turtle. But Clyde simply steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is this in NC?;) I have been there once or twice.;)) Lovely images, Clyde is really thirsty.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. love seeing the clydster! I bet he's drinking lots of water, with all this heat.

    thanks for the tour of your world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.