Book Review: Billy Collins's 'Horoscopes for the Dead'

Horoscopes for the Dead: PoemsHoroscopes for the Dead: Poems by Billy Collins

I love Billy Collins. He just plain says it. He doesn't reach for the heroic or the epic in the ordinary. The ordinary is enough. And he just plain says it. But when he does, he takes you to some unexpected place where things look very different from the ordinary.

As his poems unfold and we arrive at this other place, it’s extraordinary because we are right there with him--not below or behind or at a distance.

Collins is cool. Last semester, I showed some video adaptations of some of his poems--created with the poet's blessing--followed by his reading of without visuals. My students liked the best “To My Favorite Seventeen Year Old High School Girl" that he read without visuals. It's about a girl being loved for her completely ordinary self by her dad. She might not be Mozart, but she is who she is.

Horoscopes for the Dead is cool and ordinary and amazing. There is a poem thanking all those who died on the speaker's birthday for stepping aside, for making room for the speaker to live and grow. There is a poem about a guy taking in the names on the stones in a cemetery and teasing out the stories that emerge from names. There is a wife who is jealous of a manuscript.

We are who we are. There is poetry in noticing that. Life is extraordinary. Sign on to a volume of CollinS’s poetry, and he will show you how what you know, what we all know, is profoundly beautiful and loaded with possibilities.

From the poem “Grave”:
What do you think of my new glasses
I asked as I stood under a shade tree
before the joined grave of my parents,

and what followed was a long silence
that descended on the rows of the dead
and on the fields and the woods beyond,

one of the one hundred kinds of silence
according to the Chinese belief,
each one distinct from the others,

and the differences being so faint
that only a few special monks
were able to tell one from another.

What do you think of my new glasses
I asked as I stood under a shade tree
before the joined grave of my parents,

and what followed was a long silence
that descended on the rows of the dead
and on the fields and the woods beyond,

one of the one hundred kinds of silence
according to the Chinese belief,
each one distinct from the others,

and the differences being so faint
that only a few special monks
were able to tell one from another.

They make you look very scholarly,
(more)


View all my reviews

Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. Sandy, I think you introduced me to Billy Collins' work last year. You posted his appearance at TED Talks. I loved the poem about the little rodent arsonist in the country. I made a mental note to learn more about this guy. Your review is wonderful reminder.

    Find what is extraordinary in the ordinary.

    There are so many times I've looked at my own work and wondered "What the f**k was I talking about?" It seemed important at the time. Was I sober? I get so caught up, bunched up and knotted up that, at their best, the words become emotional clots and scabs. Nothing real that you would want to hold on to. I keep telling myself to get simple. I make a mental note of it. Billy Collins is a wonderful reminder to get real. Get simple. Find the extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - I don't think I read enough poetry - in fact I dont read any at all. I think I'm going to have to start!

    Great post.

    Stewart M

    PS: dont think the kids thought that the coconuts were so great when they dropped them on their feet! But they got over that, forgot about it and did it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles...i really enjoy Billy Collins...have heard him read as well...he is a pretty funny (in a dry way) kinda guy...he is def an inspiration to me as well in making the ordinary extraordinary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is a wonderful poem!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting poet. I like his style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks




    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a Billy Collins fan, too! I use his poems all the time with my students.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.