Our World Tuesday: At Home

This year, my mother's cousin and aunt passed away. My aunt's passing led to my mother's receiving a parcel of mementos that had belonged to her. Among the many loose photos and albums were my mother's uncle's dog tags. Previously mom had received Uncle Burt's flag, which had been presented to my aunt at his funeral. He had been a World War II veteran and a recipient of the Purple Heart. But he came home.





From December 18, 2011
Mom keeps the flag in the living room, where she also keeps a doll her grandmother had made many years ago. This was the grandmother who had three of her four sons serving overseas in the armed forces during the Second World War. She was a talented lady who did a lot of waiting over those years.
From December 18, 2011
Among the loose photos were images of my great-uncles when they were boys and then when they were soldiers. There was a picture of a Christmas tree my great grandmother had sent to one of her sons to give him a sense of what Christmas had looked like at home. On the backs of many images were narratives she had penned to keep her boys up to date on what was happening at home. There were images of my uncles with the women they loved and married, and the looks of devotion in their faces was remarkable to me. Even when I was a kid, I loved looking at my grandmother's photos and letting them tell me stories. Each contains not a thousand words but a universe.
From December 18, 2011
Finally, Della and I got around to decorating the Christmas tree. That's another trip down memory lane with the ornaments, like this one, that my grandmother used to tape to our presents. It's funny what endures. I have no recollection of what was on the other side of all that wrapping paper, but I know this snowman.
From December 18, 2011
Our World Tuesday

Post a Comment

22 Comments

  1. Beautiful memories and incredible artifacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to lose family members at this time of year, but what wonderful and beautiful memories of your world you have! Thank you for sharing them with us today. Hope you and Della have a wonderful week leading up to the BIG DAY! Wishing you both a very joyous and Merry Christmas!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bittersweet memories, the tags. It's great that your mom still has them. And it's also great that your family has so many old photos!

    I wish you and Della a merry Christmas, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your family losses but a wonderful post filled with memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its good to remember the sadness - leads to happiness and times remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice pics! like this little doll :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:25 PM

    way too moved to write.


    please have a good tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:38 PM

    Beautiful memories and a traditional Christmas (we used to have those).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandy, lovely post. It is sad to hear about the loss of your loved ones. I'm sure you have great memories of Christmases past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a very beautiful post you've made here! I'm so sorry to her the loss of your uncle and your mother's cousin. Myself I lost my uncle this year..

    So clever your mum's grandmother must have been and a beautiful doll she made! :) It's good you are the one to take care of these things and memories! :)

    Best regards from Viola! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating ever lasting memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for enriching us with your treasures


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful Gramma you had. I love her doll and the snowman and those pictures are also something wonderful to have . I wish some of them had more info on them because some people on the Pics I have, I don't know.
    Great Post Sandy:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:21 PM

    What a lovely touching post - so full of tender memories.

    On another note, I've linked up to Our World but my photo isn't showing - just a goofy frog! Any tips on what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know the pain when we sit to think about our loss... move ahead friend! Precious stuff you have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hear you. i've been through a similar situation and i know how it hurts.

    what a lovely touching post!

    sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is that time of year when we tend to stroll down memory lane. I am glad you came upon some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post, Sandy. Your family treasures shared today by three generations. I'm sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bitter-sweet memories indeed. I am so sorry for your loss Sandy. My sister is critically ill and has been given little hope. Christmases should be happy not sad occasions. The old photos and ornaments awaken so many latent memories, that too is part of the continuing Christmas story.

    I do hope that you and Della have a wonderful Christmas not withstanding.
    Blessings . . . Arija

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Sandy, what a beautifully sentimental post, enjoyed every line. I love old photographs as they indeed all tell stories - that is why I still make prints myself, as I hope my relatives will one day find them and smile and recollect over them.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing these memories...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.