Our World Tuesday: Connecticut Garlic and Harvest Festival

Out of nosiness more than culinary interest, we stopped in at the Connecticut Garlic and Harvest Festival in Bethlehem, Connecticut, on Saturday. We were wondering how on earth a garlic festival could take up the vast acreage of the Bethlehem Fair Grounds.



From October 8, 2011

But it did, and there was garlic everywhere--even in the ice cream. And the fried dough--where there were plenty of takers. My daughter actually tried the pumpkin garlic ice cream and pronounced it good, though she opted for good old confectioner's sugar on the dough.

From October 8, 2011

The queen of the garlic fairies went about blessing one and all with her garlic wand.  No kind words would save this little fellow though.  I couldn't get away from his forlorn and somewhat accusing gaze.  I could look him straight on because I'm a purely corn fed farm girl. 

From October 8, 2011

There was something for everyone there, including some tie-dyed, downright cherry fabrics at a booth labeled, "We're all friends here."  Just the right thing to read on the first sunny Saturday since the end of the last Ice Age.

From October 8, 2011

The range of garlic and other Connecticut-produced foods was impressive, and so was the quality.  Adella fell in love with this honey and made a meal of it with peanut butter on a kaiser roll for breakfast Sunday morning.

From October 8, 2011

This stuff was downright incredible to the taste, too.

From October 8, 2011

These cranberry, chocolate, maple, and pumpkin malted-milk balls from Isn't It Sweet (interlopers from Albany, New York) were delicious.  Were.  Alas.  (Road trip to Albany?) 

From October 8, 2011


Our World Tuesday

Post a Comment

30 Comments

  1. mmm delicious I love garlic !
    No vampires around my house lol
    The honey looks great but I would have problems with the pork dish lol
    I can't eat something that looks at me nor something I raised.
    I try not to think too much when it comes to food or I would not eat at all.
    But Sometimes I do wish we didn't have to eat or sleep for that matter.
    So much time is wasted doing both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic tis good for the Heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:35 PM

    A festival to honour the humble garlic! How wonderful. I once ate garlic ice cream and it was quite nice!

    That maple syrup, those malted-milk balls - oh, how you tempt me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! And such great captures! I love fairs like this although I have to admit I've never been to Garlic festival! I couldn't have looked the poor pig in the eye either though!! So glad that you and Adella had such a fun day! And thanks for sharing it with us today!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, a garlic festival. That pig doesn't bother me either.

    I could use some of the honey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Festivals are such fun. I haven't been around much lately some health problems but am getting better. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing how much stuff is made with garlic...I like the taste but it can easily become overwhelming...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of a garlic festival. That looks like so much fun. I love garlic so I'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of the garlic festival-but it looks like fun. Wish I had some of those milk balls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Garlic fans tell me that it is the cure for just about anything that ails you. Still I would opt for the luscious golden honey and those yummy cranberry malted-milk-covered balls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great line up of wholesome goodies. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love garlic but I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it in my ice cream. What a fun day at the fair. Great photos, thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy yummy yummy! We love garlic. Not sure about the ice cream though.

    Tie-dye? Are you sure you're not here in Eugene Oregon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great post with wonderful shots!
    Would have loved to be there too! I like garlic but I don't think I would have tasted the ice-cream! He he he;o)
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    Have a nice and happy week****

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any werewolves? Or is it vampires that are driven away by garlic. Colds too. http://looseleafnotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummy place to be in!

    beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandy, this is an interesting post about Garlic Festival. Garlic reminds me of "spaghetti aglio e olio", a dish of pasta we often eat here in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful photos. Of course I really love garlic. :)
    Madeleine Begun Kane

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have a garlic festival here going north to the San Francisco area, but I have not been to one. I keep wondering how that garlic ice cream would taste.

    Honey garlic mustard...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I would have gone for the same two products. What a great garlic fair! Since that little porker was on the spit. I don't think I could have resisted that. We once looked after someone else's pig that no one had warned us would be on heat while here. It wrecked a number of fences . . . since then, I have so qualms about eating pork.

    Glad you had such a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fun-filled day! Garlic is said to be good for most of our illnesses. But I'd draw the line at garlic ice cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Nice captures, I like the tie and dye stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. And not a vampire in sight ... haha! I'm so jealous - no garlic festivals downunder in OZ!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post did nothing but make me hungry. What a fine day out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. poor little piggy :( garlic pickle tastes great :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Garlic deserves a celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The garlic festival idea sounds great but the pig pic is awful. I think I would have started crying, seeing this. I guess for the meat-eaters, it's different eh?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm garlic's greatest fan though I didn't know there were festivals for it. I guess I have my own festival almost every day 'cause I put garlic in almost everything I cook. And since it's close to Halloween I just realized that's why there are no vampires near my house.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would go straight to that little fellow too.

    It is amazing, how 30 years ago, Europeans didn't like garlic, and now it is treated like a queen.

    School started for you?

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely country
    so long ago. . .
    thanks for stirring memories
    of friends and days long past.



    Warm Aloha from Honolulu;

    Comfort Spiral



    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.