My World Tuesday: The Analysis

Klaus Peter, who founded My World Tuesday, has passed away.  The meme's home page, That's My World, is dedicated to Klaus this week. The title on his blog this week is Thou Shalt Not Pass which is a beautiful memorial shot to him. Klaus loved the natural world very much and was an exceptional photographer of birds in the wild.  He brought a lot of people together through this meme.  I am grateful to him, and my thoughts are with his family and friends.



This ghost crab hole near a turtle nest is an upsetting sight. Still, nature is at work.....
From August 13, 2011
Next to this nest that has not hatched is the one that did on Tuesday, August 9, which hatching I had the privelege of witnessing and which hatchlings I had the honor of helping stay on the straight and narrow to the Atlantic. Two days after the hatching came the analysis, when turtle folks dug out the nest two count the shells and unfertilized eggs and look for any potential hatchlings.
From August 13, 2011
Before the analysis began, we noticed crabs had been in the nest and made a meal of what was left of the protein the babies had left behind. We stood by as the work began:
From August 13, 2011

From August 13, 2011
The fertilized egg that did not hatch will be buried down the beach and let be. This guy is on his own:

From August 13, 2011

From August 13, 2011
Perhaps this child will make his or her way to the Gulf Stream under the nest full moon. Godspeed, little turtle.
From August 13, 2011

My World Tuesday

Post a Comment

26 Comments

  1. Anonymous10:54 AM

    I applaud everyone's efforts to help the turtles! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, applaud all the efforts to help the turtles! They do need all of the help they can get these days! Great post and look at your world, Sandy! Hope you have a lovely day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah the turtle nurturers at work...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed a noble deed. Great shots of the happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THose rascally crabs. I hope the little turtles all make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw the poor little fella lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tail headed for the sea, under this wonderful Moon Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Godspeed, little turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy it makes me feel good reading your posts about the turtles. I visited the turtle hospital at Topsail when it first opened and several times after that through the years. I heard they were moving to a larger hospital and I hope to go there at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:15 PM

    One who has a WHY to live, bears nearly every HOW.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. I guess that crabs have to eat also but still unsettling.

    I'm impressed with the help that the turtles get from their human friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the hazards and hit and miss circumstances of a creature that is born in the wild. It’s a rough and perilous beginning for most. How wonderful that you are willing to give such life a better chance. I love the haunting moonlit picture at the end and join you in wishing the little turtle Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting activity! It seems like it would be a great experience to be able help the little guys find their way into the world safely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Sandy. While I find the turtle posts sad, I can't stay away from them. I have learned so much from your posts. I feel hope for humanity but sadness for the turtles and their struggles. Thank you for the series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an incredible experience working with Nature in this way! Amazing! Love the photos and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Noble deed, great post

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend...
    Beautiful post about nature and the way it is so cruel and so endlessly amazing and beuatiful simultaneously...
    Have a lovely day dear Sandy,
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to all those who are helping the hatchling turtles. I hope the little one makes it too. I am sorry for the loss of Klaus, he was a special nature photographer and a great friend to many. Great post, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there - sad news and a good post.

    The little turtles will travel all over the world - rather like an idea, or even a meme. I rather like that.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting ! I didn't know anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My condolenses to Klaus Peter's family.

    Good luck to the loner egg. What a world this is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful thing to witness regarding the turtles. How sad I am about Klaus. It brought tears to my eyes when I read about it on the MWT site. Does anyone know what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  23. How sad to read of your friend's passing, sounds like a wonderful man. Lovely tribute here Sandy.

    Hugs, G

    ReplyDelete
  24. Klaus would have loved to see this amazing support of the natural world.
    Thanks for hosting Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful job everyone! I applaud each one for this huge help for the turtle! Kudos guys! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.