Craig Lundwall: I Miss You

From Flowers
The daffodils are coming up at my parents' after a long, steep, cold winter. Years ago I planted many of the bulbs that are thriving today. (I remember dad asking me if I'd come over after work and help him plant 500 bulbs. "Sure," I said. It sounded like nothing, but then sticking those bulbs in the rocky, unyielding ground made the task a challenge and a half. I planted many but far and away not all of those bulbs.)  I love seeing them blossom ever spring. They are my favorite flower. 

Noticing them today and thinking of you, I recalled that spring was not your favorite season, that winter was with its bright sunshine and crisp blues and whites. Spring seems such a dull evaporating of winter into something else. A time between times. I think of you on the anniversary of your passing, Craig. I think of what you loved. It is no wonder. You, too, were a bright light. A strong personality. A presence. Every year at this time I think the winter you loved feeds the daffodils I love, makes change possible.

Damn it all, though, I miss you.

Post a Comment

9 Comments

  1. It's hard to lose a friend and the hole that it leaves in our heart, our life never completely heals -- there's always that space that belongs just for them. Enjoy your evening, Sandy, and had a great tomorrow!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute!!
    I love daffodils too!
    So bright and cheery!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute to your friend, Sandy. I read back to previous posts you wrote on this date. I'm sorry for your heartbreaking loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never forget those we love. It is good to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:21 PM

    may love negate time and distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to a good friend. What a handsome man. Hugs to you dear and good thoughts to Craig. He is enjoying winter in another place now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Hilary, I too am sorry for your loss, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.