Wordless Wednesday: The Man on the Sidewalk

IMG 6171

A few Fridays ago as I was making my way to the busses after school, Jordan--a student of mine who always rounds the corner at the exact moment I come out the door and lets me know what dramas closed his school day--said, "Look! It rained baseball cards!" I looked. It had. There on the sidewalk looking back at me was none other than the recently-retired left-handed, pinstriped work of art (I'll stop.) himself. (No need for names, right?)

I picked him up. I picked up a few of his colleagues on other times. Feeling happy and open-minded, I picked up a Red Sox pitcher.

Then I resolved on Monday to report my lucky find to an administrator who would announce to all the children that these treasures had been recovered.

I did. That is, I tried. Every time I approached the house principal, he was too busy counting out standardized test booklets and packets of crackers and calculators and things to talk. So I told my students and a few teachers. I put the word out. As I type this, the cards are in my bag. I will keep trying to get them back to their rightful owner. Meanwhile, Pettitte's in my back pocket, and it's a cool thing.

Not Really Wordless on Wordless Wednesday

Post a Comment

22 Comments

  1. Neat find and very nice to try to return them to someone who they must be a treasure to. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Paulie! Have a beautiful day, Sandy. Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always treasure finds like these, as you have no idea what encounters they might lead to.;))
    Have a lovely midweek,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a great pitcher!!!
    Glad you rescued the cards
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know nothing about baseball but what can be wrong about carrying a cute guy in your pocket? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of baseball teams would love to have Pettitte in their back pocket!

    They wouldn't give him up though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. reminded me of my own classic collection of nba cards. baseball isnt as popular as basketball here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to come across such treasures. I am sure someone is sad about losing them though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somebody's precious collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting trying to get through to administrators about anything-it took me 2 weeks to get permission form the local superintendent to run a poetry contest. i needed his okay to send home flyers...grr!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I don't follow baseball, but I think it would be hard for me to part with such a work of art that can be carried in one's back pocket.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh...a sign from heaven perhaps? Your paths meant to cross in the future? You never know. He's rather easy on the eyes! I don't follow sports but I can see why you might like all things baseball where you are. Great post Sandy. I hope it rains something cool here today, besides the water!!!

    Hugs my dear, G

    www.takeahappybreak.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can think of many things worse than having Andy Pettitte in my back pocket. I do hope, though, that the owner of the cards is identified.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the era when Andy Pettitte during his first tour with the Yankees in late 1990s / early 2000s.

    By coincidence, my WW is from the Bronx, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, I never knew you were so into baseball. :0) My cousin is Paul Shuey, used to be a pitcher.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Sandy, Finders Keepers.lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a cool thing-and so are you : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:11 PM

    you make life good.



    please have you all a nice thursday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  19. As an avid baseball fan, and former little boy who collected baseball cards.....lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. PS: I told Joe about this post last night and he really enjoyed it too. Any more "special rain" there, do keep us posted! It is St. Pat's Day, a fine day for a bit of green from the sky perhaps.

    Lots of Hugs, G

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice story. And it also could have been posted under "sarcasm." :)
    Mad Kane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.