Blog Your Blessings: The Thermostat

This week's blessing is the thermostat. Because it's connected to the furnace and makes the wheels go round so the house is not cold when the air outside is. I was especially grateful for that thing this morning around four, when I lay in bed fully aware that my nose was very cold. I pulled the covers close around my face and the I heard the lovely bump and rumble of that mysterious electrical machine that makes the cold air warm. I could relax for a few more minutes and bask in the heat I imagined before it ever made its way up the stairs.

The sound of the thermostat is a seasonal pleasure that rates up there with the shorter days and the lovely, long,and lingering nights. They are the pleasures of blissful solitude. I like to feel warm and safe and cozy, and I love the solitude of an autumn evening.

At work today the air went from frigid to infernal, and even that was nice. There's nothing quite like that long blast of institutional heat to tell you winter's on its way. So many days of being warm inside and drinking hot chocolate to look forward to. Yesterday the kids got a little sluggish as their lips turned blue and their bodies stiffened in the air conditioned room. Today, they complained of the heat and I thought what a luxury to be bathed in the stuff and to be able to relax. How nice to be disturbed by such luxury.

On those nights when I don't sleep, the furnace's kicking into action tells me the time quietly, peacefully. The heat tends to come on around midnight, three, five. With each distant rumble, I know the world is closer to waking up, and I am growing farther from the strange and unwanted solitude of an empty, restless night. It is enough for me to know the world is with me even if I am alone in the dark. The world is not such a cold place.

Post a Comment

21 Comments

  1. You're never really alone Sandy, not even at those unbeautiful hours when the furnace kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my days of actually working on the operations of natural gas pipelines it was always gave me a nice feeling to watch the gas flow meter into a small town slowly then quickly rise as night turned to morning. I imagined people getting up, turning up the thermostat, taking showers, and cooking breakfast using our natural gas to get started with their day.

    In the summer time you can see the power plants really ramp up their flow on hot days as the air conditioning load comes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have so many luxuries...that our grandparents never even imagined possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree. When I see those leaves blowing around in that chill autumn air and the furnace kicks on like a defiant child. Summer will continue inside. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is sweet like a bed at the end of day...
    Aloha, Friend!

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the cool, cool, cool of the Illinois autumn, in my very very nice RV resort camp 32 miles from my new client, our trailer furnace is fueled by ten gallon propane tanks (two empty, one 3/4 full) and fired and controlled by electricity. During my Walmart wanderings for ten weeks, the electricity was supplied by one of two portable generators. While I chained the running generator up outside, I am not secure in leaving it running while I am asleep, since people can cut the chain and steal it. But here in the campground, the electricity is wired from the post to the trailer, so I just need to keep the propane full.

    I also have an electric baseboard heater for the bedroom.

    I extended the slides (living room and bedroom) which greatly expand the living space in the trailer. So now the doggie Lacy and I have space, heat and stability - we don't have to move the trailer every day to a new place.

    Lacy is also a wonderful snuggle buddy. She is particularly warm and welcome on One, Two or Three Dog Nights!

    Now, some sunshine would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the most enchanting tributes to the approach of winter that I have ever read. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to remember these "little" things that are blessings! It will be awhile before I turn the heat on here. I just add a quilt when it cools down and finally close the windows that have been opened since spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, little blessings are made big by grateful hearts like yours. You are not alone, Sandy! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, I love your always positive attitude towards life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The long restless nights...watching the clock running...yes, one of those nights is okay, two in a row is not and then...something must be done. That furnace is a funny clock too. In my old apartment it was the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sometimes i feel that sound of blowing of air affects breathing rate..:-)
    specially during days when heat overwhelms surroundings...a single gust changes the whole scenario....

    ReplyDelete
  13. and one thing more tahnks for ur precious words...

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh! this post makes me warm inside out...it feels cozy just reading it!

    small blessings gos a long way!

    have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. While I enjoy knowing I can turn the heat on if I want (a true luxury) I like when the room is so cold at night that my nose gets cold. We keep our house quite cool in the fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here in the opposite season it still can be chilly, however, I don't need to have a heating system like yours. Dear SAndy - you get such extremes of season and temperatures compared to here.

    Dear Sandy, you are not alone, you are very much loved - and in the middle of your night I'm likely to be struggling to wake up (my depression medication has a side effect of sleepiness) while a large, loving rescue cat pokes and whacks me in the face.

    You will always find a loving huggle from me, and a demand for a cuddly snuggle from Zebbycat. Sending many cuddly huggles and much loving care,

    Michelle and Zebbycat (I think we adopted and rescued each other)

    ReplyDelete
  17. there's just to many things to be grateful everyday and as to what happened in manila, we're just happy that we see people helping one another, though we are not directly affected as with some areas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post Sandy. Only you could make reading about a furnace and heating, a pleasure! I know what you mean too. Growing up in Canada, you really REALLY value the wonderful invention known as the furnace, especially when a night can dip below -40C. YES, it really happens up here.

    Hugs and stay warm, G

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's not yet cold enough to turn the furnace on here in Southern California but I love the way you've shared your thoughts here as I make a note to have my furnace inspected sometime next week in anticipation of cooler weather one of these days.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifully expressed. I've been bemoaning winter's approach but you've made me think about how lucky we are for that simple device which facilitates warmth. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. indeed! ours finally came on for the season. what a difference heat makes in well-being.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.