Thursday Thirteen: A New Thought for Christmas


1. Melissa Etheridge's 2008 Christmas album A New Thought for Christmas is less about a new idea than an ancient one: love, love, love for the sake of love in the name of love.

2. I've enjoyed the album since my daughter gave it to me a few weeks ago because it gets to the heart of the holiday.


3. In her deep, gritty, and soulful way, Etheridge breathes new life into "Angels We Have Heard on High" in "Glorious" with this delightful play on the old lyrics: "love, love, love/it's glorious." The song is delightful, happy, hopeful. It's light.


4. Likewise, "O Holy Night" travels through time in O Night Divine.


5. With guitarist Philip Sayce's accompaniment, she transports this ancient Christmas songs into a present and leaves me believing that it really is possible to live Christmas throughout the year: "Throughout time we've watched the sky/ And waited for the sun to come and save us/ Save us from the longest night."


6. "Ring Those Bells" is full of heart and hope, too: "I belive in peace my only wish/ I belive taht we can coexist/ Let's go further than we've ever gone before/ And ring the bells/ Ring the bells of change." It is beautiful, sweet, and sure.


7. In the same vein, "Christmas in America" is an impassioned plea to "send my baby home" from war: "Hey mister, send my baby home/ This December I don't wanna be all alone/ Christmas in American I need you i my arms/ Far away from harm/ Send my baby home."


8. In the album notes, Etheridge points out that Christmas songs and celebrations are based on solstice traditions that predate "Roman Christian times."


9. For her, Christmas is about seeing the light.


A new thought for Christmas? No--an old on whose time has come:


10. What if we did create peace on earth

11. How would we feel about ourselves

12. Would we eknow we were perfect and good enough
13.
For all we desire as well

Merry Christmas



Post a Comment

36 Comments

  1. Anonymous6:35 PM

    If we created peace on earth I'd feel very humble. And I might be looking over my shoulder to see who would break it. Who, me cynical? Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, peace on Earth. I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a splendid present! Here's to joy, and peace on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for recommending It . I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa is wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation, though; I haven't listened to this one.

    Peace - D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only the Goodwill would stay with us throughout the year, maybe then we'd have that Peace on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Last year (or the year before) I bought Sarah Mclachlan's Christmas CD and I'm still loving it.

    I do feel we have outgrown war and greed but it seems it's like cancer cells and can spread out of control regardless of the intentions of its host.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Ms. Sandy Carlson

    You are heartily welcome to my blogspace.

    You have rightly put that : it is for the reader to face the artistic output with honesty.

    Yes, the reader travels on various lanes that a writer have expored by applying his/her emotions and imaginations.

    Naval Langa
    http://navallanga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Ms. Sandy Carlson

    You write that : What if we did create peace on earth

    Yes, that is the best we can do for ourselves and the others.

    Naval Langa
    http://cleanfiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. well peace is the eventual goal of this earth but it will not come easily or soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peace all over the world is possible: it is necessary a real stronger goodwill from the politicians.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. its a good one to give for a gift

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:52 AM

    happy holidays sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:55 AM

    may everybody find peace in their heart and soul not just this season but everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like the photo cover on this post. you can see the message from that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It will happen one day Sandy. I agree with your observation about celebrating Christmas everyday. I wish you and your family the very merriest Christmas ever. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8:21 AM

    I just saw her being interviewed last night about the new cd-sounds great. Love your thoughts on peace-think we could do it-if we were all in one accord.

    ReplyDelete
  20. what if, indeed. *sighs*
    happy tt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed the review. I may have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Peace on earth is a lot to ask. Let's just limit ourselves to the auto way for to start...

    I love Melissa Etheridge she has a great voicem very relaxing to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Peace on Earth would be lovely. In the meantime, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, thanks. I'll check this one out. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Sandy, will definitely check this..Advance Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous7:30 PM

    Thanks for sharing about her new album. I'll check it out soon. Lovely T-13 today ... I didn't play this week.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love her, her singing is amazing! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. AMEN! Well done Sandy!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous10:52 PM

    A beautiful, thought provoking T13 Sandy, thank you. I don't know this artist but I'm going to look for her album tomorrow...I was looking for some Christmas music and this sounds perfect for me. And as for your last few thoughts...you got right to the heart of what matters. Lovely!

    Mine is up too. happy T13!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  31. A beautiful Christmas time post, Sandy, thank you!
    Thank you also for the tipp, I shall look for the CD here.

    Friday a week ago I went to a celebration of Greek Christmas in a little church here in Vienna, and love was the singer's motto for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Very thought provoking! I'm going to have to check out the album. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thirteen healing reflections. Thank you, Sandy.

    And thanks for the recommendation. I too love Melissa's voice and this sounds like a nice little gift for my husband. He's a big fan of Melissa too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous4:36 PM

    One will create
    Peace on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very interesting outlook on this. I have two boys who have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq more than one term. Now one is at home and the other is in Italy. I still miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the sentiment - an old idea whose time has come again - definitely a message worth spreading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.