Blog Your Blessings: Yeah, That


Some days I go out for a walk and wonder about the good things. There are a million and there are none all at once. Nothing specific will come to mind, but I will feel a sense of general goodness that tells me it's all good. It's all special. Good is a state of being.

I think of stopping by my parents' with my daughter to visit on Columbus Day, of going for a walk with my camera and taking in the color while she showed my folks some new online game or other.


I think of bringing the guinea pig down to keep me company while I'm making dinner. He taste tests the salad like only a true and loyal friend could.


I think of pleasant conversations with good, old friends who know the score and who care about me as much as I do about them. How what we do and how and why are relevant hearthside as well as in the anonymous outside world.


I think of the kids who go out of their way to say hello or to share their deeply private love poems or to ask me how long germs can stay alive in your mouth (and so was it a good idea to kiss so-and-so because, well, he is kind of gross....), or to ask me if I have any kids because they say they think I'm (it's hard to believe) cool and therefore must have at least one kid.


I think of the parents of the kids I teach and how they care enough about their kids to talk to me about their progress.


I think of the brilliant autumn light and the gorgeous colors and the cool nights and the full moon dropping in the belly of night like a baby about to be born, how good it feels to sleep and then to wake up in the same dark and call the day my own for a little while. Then to say hello to the first neighbor walking the first dog in the first light of day.


Round and round it goes, even when on those days that feel like a difficult upward climb. And it is all a blessing.



Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

29 Comments

  1. I love this post! What a great verbal snapshot of some of the good things in life that sometimes get taken for granted. I really enjoyed the spirit lift from your reading. Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are very early for this -- hope it means you are going to do something special this weekend!

    Each day is filled with blessings IF we just acknowledge them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. I love coming here to be reminded of my blessings. Even on a bad day, there are blessings.

    You're one of mine. ((Sandy)) ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great attitude you have and I can tell you love being a teacher and the kids and parents love you. there's always something to be grateful for....thanks for reminding us with your poetic words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely true! love the critter helping tates the salads LOL thats just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your spiritual eyesight is 20/20. One of the greatest blessings I can see in you is this beautiful gift to recognize and appreciate the small things that fill your day with such an abundance of beauty and companionship. And... the ability to express and share them with us so that we grow in gratitude with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother always told us that the world would show us the face we showed the world...today you showed the world your beauty and it's reflection was just shared with us all...lovely lovely post
    Teachers...they're the unsung heroes.
    hugs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very significant post, Sandy.
    I see in your thought a great wonderful optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great reflections. I think there's always good and bad around. The secret is our attitude towards it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a nice post! the part about the Moon and a baby being born is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great post, like a poem of the right kind.

    I like the photo you put with it too. It fits right in with the bridge photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:36 AM

    I'm so glad I read this before heading out for some errands. You've reminded me to be mindful of the beauty in the mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:28 AM

    i love guinea pigs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. A refreshing read, deeds are more treasured when beautiful thoughts pave its way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful post. I loved the things you list as blessings! ...I am thinking of how to respond with a post of my own. It is so important to dwell on our blessing. If we start our prayers with a spirit of thanksgiving, the rest of what we need to pray for falls into place. And to dwell on the good when things are not so good, puts life into true perspective, and keeps us from becoming morose....

    I really loved the line of the full moon dropping like a baby in th womb....truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:54 PM

    I think of the adult recovering drug addicts I tutor who are still trying, even though their parents didn't seem to care enough to make sure they learned how to read....

    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:41 PM

    Thank you, you’ve reminded me at just the right moment that small things are blessings too and they all add up to something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous7:03 PM

    I can always think of good things that are in my life, even when i'm feeling like there is nothing.
    I've added you to my new blogger friends! Can't wait to read more of your posts.
    MuchaCostaRica

    ReplyDelete
  20. the hard things is where we show our true depth of character and you have this in abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is not room on blogger for me to blog my bessings.

    OK.........

    1. You

    2. You

    3. You

    ReplyDelete
  22. This makes me feel so good...which is just what I needed today... to remember my blessings, too.
    Thank you, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's great that you're cool. :) ANd I love these little blessing posts. It does make you think about the good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are such an amazing teacher. your lucky students.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Sandy-thank you for the inspiration-I need to do like you and see the good in all the small ways I'm blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Many wonderful and expressive thoughts... as always, a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful thoughts and blessings! My Sunday BYB is now up--better late than never, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous6:29 PM

    You know how much I appreciate taking time for gratitude … and your list today is a lovely example about how our mind-set and where we choose to put our attention shapes matters. Thanks for reminding us all there is good everywhere … always.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sandy, I love your thoughtful thinking in this post. I also love it when I sense in your writings that the kids that you teach right now, really do appreciate having you there. I think that is wonderful! You know from my own story, how a teacher, a good and caring teacher, can make all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.