Blog Your Blessings: Mom and Dad




When the first selectman left me an automated voice message telling me to be very careful in the intense summer heat on Tuesday, I was only too happy to oblige. So was my daughter, who agreed that getting out to the school bus on time would exceed the town father's recommended amount of exertion per minute per square inch of person.

So, heck, we played hooky--or, more accurately, she played hooky and I was her willing accomplice. In fact, I thought up the idea. It made sense--to a lot of people. Wherever we stopped, someone would say, "No school today?" We'd say, "Playing hooky and going swimming." They'd say, "Good for you. I won't tell." Wherever we went, we had accomplices who weren't working too hard or fast, either.

Ever so slowly, ever so carefully, we rode over to my parents' home in Newtown to plant some pumpkin, cucumber, and radish seedlings and to swim.

Along the way, we happened upon one box turtle who had not heard that school in Newtown was delayed and who therefore chose the exact wrong time to cross the road ever so slowly. So we shanghaied him. He too played hooky at grandma and grandpa's house. He was good company for our short ride, too. He crawled all over everything but neither pooped nor peed on anything. My kind of passenger.

Adella jumped for joy when she saw my nephew Adam was at my parents' house, so he got to see the turtle, whom he named Slow Poke after taking him in with a long, incredulous look (see above). We deposited the new family friend in a cool, shady area full of ferns and made our way to the important business of swimming.


I planted the young plants while Adella and my dad splashed about. I enjoyed the summer sun and heat and the pleasure of the garden while I listened to my daughter present each new style of flip and turn to my dad. Grandpa challenged her to swim and dive and rescue abandoned toys from the bottom of the deep end. She took the challenges and rose to each one. So much for slowly, carefully...Grandpa paid $1 for each rescued toy. At that rate, a girl hops to.

Grandma joined us for rest and snacks and a lesson from Adella on how to play the games on the Webkinz site.


On the way home, a doe crossed the street in front of us and faded into the shade of the woods. She moved slowly, carefully, soundlessly, almost imperceptibly, and she was gone in an instant. Day faded into evening, and evening into a thunderstorm that shook the earth. No noise could reach my dreaming daughter, who didn't stir in her deep and silent, satisfied, sleep.


Thank you, mom and dad.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

27 Comments

  1. What a blessed day having that time and adventure together - good for you is right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful day to treasure for all your days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 PM

    good memories that will definitely last a lifetime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun adventure. You are very lucky to have your folks close by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like just about the most perfect day for swimming and making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sweet memories... I wish more foryou. You have written it all so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy father's day! this posts is a certified grandparents day but a father's day post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly had a blessed day, Sandy! How wonderful! And happy Father's Day to your Dad and your daughter's Dad! You always have beautiful days like this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:24 PM

    That was an awesome post! Helped pull me out of a fog! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of my best memories with my mom were the days I played hooky. :)

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Parents/Grandparents are truly a blessing... and yours sound like fun to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely blessing these memories :) Beautiful write-up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:30 AM

    _Happy Father's Day to your Dad and your daughter's Dad!..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I would like to be jealous of your day but instead I am glad that you had such a fun day with those that mean so much and a day of memories that your daughter may tell her grandchildren about one day.

    Will post after church.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice Sandy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. years later ..u look back..and u see only u have only memories....... create more such days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. years later ..u look back..and u see only u have only memories....... create more such days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandy, thank you for sharing such a beautiful day with us.

    Wonderful story for today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a really great time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great way to share time with your Dad! Treasure that time with him as it will be all too soon and he will not be with you physically!

    I finally have my blessing up also. Going to look at your post below also! I was gone all day yesterday and came back with my allergies acting up.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good story, nice blessing. Be careful of turtles though...you could be unlucky to encounter the rare rogue snapping turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous8:51 PM

    If only we all were allowed to play hooky on such days to garner such memories...I don't remember any days the administration declared too hot to be in school...

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds like it was a wonderful day together!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. Sounds like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.