Thursday Thirteen: 'I Will Not Be Broken'

When he was a college student in Israel in the mid-1980s, a landmine--leftovers of the 1967 War--blew Jerry White's world apart, taking a leg but leaving him with a big choice. Would he become a victim of an accident and live in bitterness and self-pity, or would he choose life?

First with the help of the do-or-die Israelis who had no time for self-pity or any other form of self-destructive self-indulgence, and then with the help of family and friends and countless wise others, White chose life and transformed his traumatic experience into his life's work. Today he is the leader of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (for which he was corecipient of the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1997), and cofounder of Survivor Corps. He describes his journey from victim to survivor to "thriver" in his new book I Will Not Be Broken.

The book outlines a program of five steps for coping with disaster. He draws on his experiences as well as those of famous persons such as Lance Armstrong; Diana, Princess of Wales; Christopher Reeve, the American Psychological Association, and the not so famous--his college roommate, his mom, Bosnians who survived the warn in their country, a little Cambodian girl who also lost a leg to a landmine. His drawing on the wisdom of persons from all walks of life underscores he beliefs that wisdom is a collective resource as well as an individual one and that all life is interconnected. White's book approaches the challenge of trauma positively by focusing on individual strengths rather than dwelling on what went wrong and why.

I Will Not Be Broken is an earthy, conversational, and real testament of the beauty and wonder of all life. Here are some highlights of the book in White's words.

1. "Each of us has seeds of victimhood, survivorship, and thriving potential within us."

2. "The challenge we face is integrating our experiences--sorrowful and joyful--to help us evolve from victimhood to thriving."

3. "For many people, there isn't one precise moment of crisis [but an accumulation]--a few unpleasant things overlap, and a crisis sneaks up from behind."

4. To prevent being broken by crisis, First, face the facts. "Great teachers and prophets admonish us to get real with ourselves, no matter how humiliating the facts."

5. "None of us will get very far without first examining our circumstances, relationships, and feelings. We will need to be ruthless in our self-assessment."

6. Second, we need to choose life. "We must consciously choose for our lives to go on in a positive way."

7. We can accomplish this by "nurturing a positive view of ourselves, keeping things in perspective, and maintaining a hopeful outlook."

8. Having crossed the threshold to survivorship, we can take the third step of reaching out because no one thrives in isolation.

9. "We have to let people in our life into our life." As Albert Schweizer has said, "'At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark form another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.'"

10. Next, we need to get moving, to think of the future and develop a plan for achieving goals, though "the speed at which [we] move is less relevant than the belief that [we]will move."

11. Finally, we must take Step Five and give back. "You must give to a community in order to belong to a community. You can become a volunteer, a community leader, a donor, a social change agent, a future peer supporter. You get outside yourself and, by doing so, get away from your suffering. It's not charity. It's not pity. It's gratitude in motion. It is belonging in action." Giving back is essential to thriving.

12. Taking these steps is the best way to avoid falling into the trap of victimhood, a stagnant state of being that includes living in the past, wallowing in self-pity, resenting others, blaming others, and taking from others.

13. Taking these steps can lead to resilience, "our capacity to bounce back and resume function and health after a confrontation with disruptive or traumatic events...Resilient people are somehow able to draw on past experiences and find inner strength to navigate their troubles and make the transition to a healthy, flourishing future."

More at Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

47 Comments

  1. I like the sound of this. To me a victim is a casualty who won't get over it.
    It can be so self-defeating. And I think many, nowadays, fall into the trap the media has set for expressing your victimhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for #12 - it's much more fun blaming someone else - our politicians do it all the time!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a survivor. So many are not. I love it. Great TT. Have a fabulous day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really spoke to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:30 PM

    You are one of my favorite moms. Click my name to see why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Anthony is right about being self-defeating. Getting over it can be difficult but life when you get past that point is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the thoughtful list. I have personally known a few of this type of survivor. They are great to be around.
    Thanks for visiting my TT!
    TM

    ReplyDelete
  8. #8 presents an interesting challenge for me. I'm so used to being the "go-to girl" that it's hard for me to ask others for help. Elizabeth Edwards' book "Saving Graces" had a tremendous impact on me in this regard. About being courageous enough to ask for help. Thanks for sharing this. (And thanks for visiting my TT)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love #6! Great list, frame worthy.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. #7 is SO very true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful book, with advice that can help in every day life, not only in a crisis.

    #5 being ruthless in the self assessment is especially hard, but you have to be honest with yourself before you can move forward in life or make any solid lasting changes.

    Thank you for sharing this book, he sounds like hero material, though he'd probably argue he's just a guy... ;)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:13 PM

    Great T13 I never looked at it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. #4 speaks to me...If you face the facts, and deal with them in reality, you have a much better chance at a better outcome:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting list. Very inspirational. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I agree with all of them. Great words to live by. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've known a few who, after having drunk deeply of tragedy, have chosen life. They are inspirations to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:23 PM

    GREAT list. Might have to pick up the book.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this, Sandy. Having been in a similar spot, I see a lot of the things that I went through on a more unconscious level.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "We have to let people in our life into our life." As Albert Schweizer has said, "'At times our own light goes out an dis rekindled by a spark form another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.'">>> i personally like this. that's a nice book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous11:14 PM

    Gosh, I could not agree more. I am sick, sick, sick of the victim mentality. ARG!! It always seem that those who suffer the most are the least likely to give in to it.

    What a great list! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely agree with #6- we need to choose life. "We must consciously choose for our lives to go on in a positive way."

    Wonderful TT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this. Right now in my life I could call myself a victim, but I refuse to. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to take the time and read these lines carefully. there is so much to understand here...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Attitude is such a big part of recovery, that refusing to let circumstances dictate any more than they absolutely must.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Inspiration here! A few phrases that stood out for me were: survivor to "thriver", and It's not charity. It's not pity. It's gratitude in motion. I plan to borrow these phrases in future motivational talks I have with a certain family member!

    Thanks for this, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That must be a very good book ! These people usually have a lot of courage and handle their life without complaining. My friend had polio when she was 3 years old, now she only can walk on crutches but she is sooo brave and wise and mature !

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really appreciate and believe in #11

    Great TT list, and have a good rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a great book to read. Excellent points.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous9:33 AM

    People forget the Golden Rule (#11) We get so much more when we give than the receiver of our giving. It's a magical formula.

    The only thing I can think of where it would be difficult to apply this is with major depression because your mind is not able to think right. Of course they have drugs now but back when I dealt with it in 1969 they didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, they were all good but #7 really rang true with me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great list! I really like #11. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is beautiful. i love reading words of inspiration.
    we always have choices in life. either be a victim or be a survivor.
    and paying forward is another thing.
    thanks sandy!

    c",) Morning Sniffles

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an inspirational testimony from someone who survived a terrible trauma. Reminds me of 'Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...'for this man found the courage to carry on with his life and not become a victim.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous1:50 PM

    I'm going to have to ponder this for a while, I think. Quite the interesting TT you have this week.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous2:47 PM

    Wonderful TT. Very uplifting. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an inspirational post. So many people, me included, need to hear things like this occasionally.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I sometimes wonder if we are born with our outlook. My sister and I (15 months apart) totally had different views of being adopted. Our step-dad adopted us. She always felt that our bio dad gave us away. I felt "lucky me" I have two dads. Environmentally we were raised the same, I was the one that contracted polio, we were both the same in so many other ways. Why the different views?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Excellent advice - looks like a great read with practical info a person can actually apply to their life. Great TT Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. My favorite is definitely #5. Great TT!

    Our Happy Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous3:59 AM

    Happy T13! Great list - lots of food for thought :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for posting this list and information about the book. I've know of his work before with the Landmine Survivors Network, as well as working together with so many organizations to make the ICBL a real, functioning effort.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Excellent post! Victim hood seems to be rampant these days and I think it is a deeper cry in peoples hearts for a need of acknowledgment and recognition. What does that tell us about our society as a whole? This book is a great reminder that there is a way out of this kind of mentality. Great admonishment!

    ReplyDelete
  43. #s 3, 4, and 5 struck a chord with me. However, the one that I enjoyed the most was "We have to let people in our life into our life."

    ReplyDelete
  44. Brilliant. Just so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.