Blog Your Blessings: 'If You Like it, Shoot it'

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
"If I like it, I shoot it," said our new friend as we stood with him by the lake and discussed the osprey, heron, egrets, otter, muskrats, beavers, geese, turkey vultures, and bullfrogs that thrive in and around it.

If he had said that without the camera with the huge lens hanging from his neck, my daughter and I would have high-tailed it out of there before he had a chance to like us. As it was, his camera was obvious, and ours were in our hands; we were there to shoot what we liked, too. But not before listening to his stories of venturing out on our lake and nearby ponds and setting up the camera on the tripod to wait for the birds to come.

Harvey spends a lot of time doing that. "I tell my friends, you know, if the day's getting stressful, go outside, sit down for a minute, close your eyes, listen, and breathe. Then open your eyes and look around you. You'll be amazed by what you see."

Harvey had all the time in the world for us, and he told us about the various spots where he finds the wildlife that are his favorite subject of photographs. He made suggestions on how to shoot clouds, water, and animals just in the course of telling us about his own experiences. Before we parted company, he invited us to join the photography club he leads.

As we spoke, Adella took a selection of landscapes and was ready to hunt for things to shoot, too. She wanted to head down the road to the beaver dam, and as we were climbing into the car, Harvey said, "Hey, you want to see a frog?" His eyes were wide and he was pointing to the water. Out Adella popped with her camera ready to go. Harvey told her to go easy and sneak up on him and then shoot. She did that and she got the bug-eyed fellow.

And then, this kid who had been reluctant to get off the couch and put on her shoes for this adventure got into the car and suggested to me that we get up bright and early on Saturday and look for more critters. Thank you, Harvey.

"It's a good thing I gave you a hard time about coming out, Mom," she said as we waited for the geese to glide closer to us. "Why, dear?"

"If I cooperated, we would have been out earlier, and we might not have met that man."

Touche.

Next morning, I took the usual walk down to the pond. This time I noticed a muskrat making a meal of the water lilies, a gigantic beaver coasting along between two disconcerted Canada geese.

"Open your eyes and look around you," Harvey said. And if you like it, shoot it.

Post a Comment

29 Comments

  1. That was a nice encounter... Perhaps nothing happens by chance after all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:39 AM

    How marvelous! I take Harvey's advice as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful advice. What a fortuitous meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:29 AM

    we were there to shoot what we liked, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, that a wonderful story! Thank you for that... Vinny and I are going to go walking soon along Little Bay Park toward the Bayside Marina. And if I like it I'm going to shoot it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:10 AM

    I'm glad that I read beyond the headline.

    At first I tought you were in the Bronx, or South Central.

    Whew!

    It took a very nice turn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely photo. I have photos of my girls shooting pictures. they are some of my favorites; memories of them collecting memories


    ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful advise! I really like this post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some things are just meant to be. The old right time at the right place. It's amazing where we learn lessons!

    Your photo is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:19 AM

    And why not? There's a lot of Zen in that encounter. The camera makes you look at things differently-in frames, sort of-and if you shoot enough you get into a nice habit that helps you with some of life's other snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:42 AM

    Great post as usual. "Out of the mouths of babes"---
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting -- yours is the first post I read this morning and I was still half asleep and shocked when I read the words "shoot it." lol A little later in the day, I might have caught on it was a camera you were shooting with! (The photo was still downloading.)

    Nice photo memory for you and daughter. Happy BYB Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coincidences happen for a reason. Open yourself to them.

    We have a bumper sticker down in Texas. "If it is tourist season, why can't I shoot them." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been trying to shoot what I like too, but the results haven't been very good...but as they say, one has to keep trying!

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific advice, and wonderful post :) Happy BYB Sunday Sandy, and I hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My BYB Sunday post is also about photos. Loved your story and happy to see your daughter enjoying her hobby and the amazing wildlife nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, as always! I've always tried to just "snap" whenever something catches my fancy... sometimes it works brilliantly, other times, not so much... but all the images are special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this encounter. I’m starting to carry my camera in my pocket again when I go for walks … and take multiple shots from different angles experimentally (as with the ‘rainy day’ photos I collaged and shared on Saturday at Small Reflections. Expecting the unexpected has yielded some interesting results … and I know where the DELETE key is for the rest ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:02 AM

    what a lovely post! i have gotten my son to be interested in taking pictures, too ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this photo of your daughter and I love the lesson that new friend gave you. It's so true, isn't it? I love capturing memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful story! You are quite the writer.

    I am adding your blog to my blog roll so I am sure to come back:).

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Harvey gives excellent advice. I need to try it. I have done it when I remember - and Harvey is right. It works. It is amazing what you see or hear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:11 PM

    I like Harvey's attitude.... sit, relax, close your eyes, breathe... wait and see. Too often, I am in a hurry and want photo opportunities to present themselves to me simply because I showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Life moves so fast, it's always a good idea to carry a camera Sandy. There are so many wonderful scenes to be captured. Photos make such great memories

    ReplyDelete
  25. Took me long enough to drop by, huh! I finally figured out that it is tuesday. Holidays really mess me up. but it was a nice surprise at work: the week is half over already!

    This is a beautiful story and I especially like the ending. I love Adelia's name (been meaning to tell you that). The man almost seems like a phantom in your story and I like that. Are you going to the club? I wish I would run across a kind stranger like that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous5:22 AM

    So true, that's what I do and when one have started that one see so much things never seen before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sandy, I just read this post and adore it! Ironic I read it today after my post. I'm going to send it to my son. I think he will really appreciate this!

    Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.