Thursday Thirteen No. 30: Bloodroot

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Away back in '78, I actually learned something in science class that I have kept with me. In the spring of that year, our teacher, Mr. Primini (a fiery Italian with no first name we could imagine) would take us out to the nature center built by our predecessors along a stream behind our school. He charged us with the tasks of measuring the girth of various species of tree, drawing fiddlehead, and finding a range of rare wildflowers.

Bloodroot was among them. Anemone and trillium grew in abundance there then, but bloodroot was a rarity. This, of course was a part of the lesson.


I came across some on Sunday when I was working at the Sharon Garden Project in Sharon, Connecticut. I was so taken by the flower that I decided to reacquaint myself with this one of Connecticut's native wild flowers. Meet my friend:

1. Bloodroot grows anywhere from 6 to 12 inches

2. in rich woods.


3. Also known as puccoon,


4. its white flowers, which are 1 1/2 inches wide, bloom from March to May.


5. The flower thrives in partial to full shade in average to moist soil.


6. A broad leaf wraps around its delicate stalk.


7. American Indians used root tea for rheumatism, asthma, bronchitis, lung ailments, laryngitis, fevers, and as an emetic.


8. They applied root juice applied to warts and


9. Used as a dye and a decorative skin stain.


10. John Smith reported in 1612 that “pocones is a small roote that groweth in the mountaines, which being dryed and beate in powder turneth red; and this they [Indians]use for swellings, aches, annointing their joints, painting their heads and garments . . . and at night where his lodging is appointed, they set a woman fresh painted red with Pocones and oile, to be his bedfellow.”


11. On that subject: A bachelor of the Ponca tribe would rub a piece of the root as a love charm on the palm of his hand, then scheme to shake hands with the woman he desired to marry. After shaking hands, the girl would be found willing to marry him in 5 to 6 days.


12. American Indians and herbal practitioners have used it as a remedy for skin cancer, too.


13. It is an endangered wildflower.

More at Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

48 Comments

  1. I love to hear about these old natural remedies. They knew more about health than we do, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a TT, hmmm. I might borrow it from you, once a month dd a TT of a herb I use for medicines.

    http://moondancerdrake.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe we have that here in the south, but it is beautiful. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:31 PM

    Very interesting. I have never heard of this plant. But if it is endangered, then perhaps we shouldn't use it as a cure, or as anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:35 PM

    I LOVE reading about this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:52 PM

    You really have the best TTs. I always learn something totally unexpected. Thanks! And this was fun. I love native plants - so beautiful and easy (well sometimes!)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never listened in Science class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:54 PM

    Great list. I'd never heard of bloodroot before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love herbal histories. Sometimes you have to wonder what they were thinking, but there must have been something to it sometimes if everyone kept using it. Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool stuff. This time of year is alway beautiful:) Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great TT! Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting do you use it for these things?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting. I know so little about herbs. I'll have to be careful, though, about whose hand I shake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful flower and so useful. I had never heard of this one. Very informative and interesting T13 and nice blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is interesting, I had never heard of this..
    Happy T13

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting. I didn't know anything about bloodroot. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a great list. It also makes a lovely picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How interesting!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a wonderful picture of an wonderful plant! so many uses!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marcia,
    It's an endangered wild flower now thanks to over development, so it can't be used as it fights for its survival in our landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you always make learning so fun. Great tt

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love a good history lesson. So much power for a little flower. I'd heard of it, but never seen it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. It certainly has a striking name!

    13th T13 here

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful flower, Sandy! Of course it looks nothing like it's name! Mr. Primini's first name was probably Salvatore, Vincent or Geralemo (these are the male names in my husband, Vinny's, family)! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Used as a dye and a decorative skin stain.>>> interesting.

    It's sad that it is already endangered.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know much about plants other than what I think looks nice. Great educational post here today for TT. Mine is up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11:00 AM

    useful and beautiful both

    blessings and happy tt
    gp in montana
    http://fvclassic.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/arabian-horse-sense/

    ReplyDelete
  28. It’s funny what ‘stays with us’ is it not? I enjoyed your ‘lesson’ today about Bloodroot. Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful plant!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As always, Sandy, wonderfully informative! Mine is on TV actresses I used to wish I looked like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post folklore and facts

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very cool. I've never seen this plant before. It's really pretty. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always learn new stuff when visiting here :) I'd never heard of it before. Happy TT and thanks so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous wildflower! I'm a big fan of wildflowers, especially forest flowers, but I don't think I've ever seen any blood root here in Nova Scotia. Thanks for introducing me to this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous2:14 PM

    Absolutely stunning shot!

    Don't you just love those memories of our high school teachers? Makes me smile. :~D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the great TT. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous4:17 PM

    Fabulous photo, and an wonderfully educational post. It's awesome that you put so much effort into helping others benefit from reading your Thursday 13.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very interesting. I love learning new things and today I learned something. Thanks.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Cool! Now if only I had the right conditions to try and grow some of this useful plant. Thanks for the info.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Say, that wiping it on your hand trick... does that work for women who do it? This could explain some things to me... Must talk to Sue about this... Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous7:31 PM

    We have it here on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Appalachian mountain folk have a long tradition of wild harvesting herb, some still goes on. An old timer took me ginseng hunting once. Wish I could remember that place.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'd never heard of bloodroot - and what a lovely picture, too.

    Enjoyed your wisteria post. It's very common here in Australia, but of course we're in autumn now!

    ReplyDelete
  43. There are always lots of good nature TT's to read, thank you for another one!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous5:48 PM

    It looks like a lily to me but the benefits (of this plant) are far more interesting. I am wondering about #11 as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  45. So that's bloodroot. I've seen it before but didn't know what it was. It won't be long and we'll have tons of Trillium up here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. what interesting facts! Your teacher sounds amazing....if you are still remembering things he made you do way back when, then sounds like he did his job!

    Thanks for visiting my T13.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous11:56 PM

    I've always wondered what it looks like. Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.