Thursday Thirteen No. 27: What's in a Word?

The Online Etymology Dictionary is my new favorite toy. To discover the history of a word is to discover the poetry of our origins one word at a time. I looked up 13 words that crossed my path this week. (A random list from my random life.) Here's what I found.

1. The meaning of the noun familiar, as "demon, evil spirit that answers one's call" was first recorded in 1584.

2. A tally mark dates from 1440 and means a "stick marked with notches to indicate an amount owed or paid. The meaning of "a thing that matches another" was first recorded 1651 and is said to be from the practice of splitting a tally with the debtor and creditor each retaining one of the halves.


3. Friend is an Old English word for freogan, which means "to love, to favor." It is related to the Old English word freo, or "free."


4. Prodigious is from the Latin word prodigiosus, which means, "strange, wonderful, marvelous."


5. To animate means "to fill with boldness or courage" and comes from the Latin word animare, which means to "give breath to."


6. The word ghetto (1611) comes from the Italian word that meant the "part of a city to which Jews are restricted."


7. Belief used to mean "trust in God" while faith meant "loyalty to a person based on promise or duty." Faith, as a cognate of the Latin word fides, took on the religious sense beginning in the 14th century, and belief had by the 16th century become limited to "mental acceptance of something as true" from the religious use in the sense of "things held to be true as a matter of religious doctrine" (c.1225).


8. Anonymous is from the Greek word that means without a name.


9. The word angel "mounted courier," both from an unknown Oriental source, perhaps related to is a fusion of the Old English engel and Old French angele, "both from L. angelus, from Gk. angelos "messenger," possibly related to angarosSkt. ajira- 'swift.'" (Got that?)


10. A fellow means partner, as in "one who puts down money with another in a joint venture."


11. Mamma is nearly universal among the Indo European languages. It may be a natural sound in baby-talk or perhaps an imitation of the sound made while sucking.


12. Gossip is from the Old English word godsibb, which meant "godparent." It was later extended to mean "any familiar acquaintance" (1362) and especially to woman friends invited to attend a birth, and even later to "anyone engaging in familiar or idle talk" (1566).


13. Soul comes from the Old English word sawol, the "spiritual and emotional part of a person, animate existence." Of uncertain origin, the word soul is sometimes said to mean originally "coming from or belonging to the sea," because that was supposed to be the stopping place of the soul before birth or after death.

More at Thursday Thirteen
Image: Stock Exchange

Post a Comment

42 Comments

  1. Numbers 4 and 5 the neatest ones. Thanks for sharing! Number 6 is sad and surprising, isn't it? (Thanks for visiting my TT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tracing English words back to origin. It's really a Magpie language, because I doubt if there IS a word that is originally English.
    No other language has absorbed others like it. Maybe that's why it's so successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Very interesting list. I have heard of witches' familiars, meaning their cats, frogs or other pets. Sadly, these innocent creatures were usually killed when their owners, usually frightened old ladies, were dragged off to witchcraft rials and burned or hanged by Christians.

    The talleyman was one who used to sell goods on credit, usually to poor people, and who would collect weekly installments in person, by going door to door with his tally book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. I just love this kind of thing.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:11 PM

    How fun. I haven't seen that site but I bookmarked it so I could go back and look around. Because a lot of my language acquisition was from Shakespere -long story - a lot of my language is old. I say things and people pierce their brow! like familiar... I say that our Vizsla Rose is my familiar.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Online Etymology Dictionary.
    Web is the future tool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Now, I am smart, thanks to you. Clever post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandy! Thanks for stopping by this week. I love words and their origins so I loved this list. I had no idea "angel" had an Oriental source; I learned something new. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy TTing!
    DK
    http://aflyoverblog.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember trying to find out where my name came from and got hooked on the origins of words. Also, when I was in college, I was a bio-chem major and had to take either Latin or German because medical terminology is based on those languages. It is really so interesting and so addictive!! I'll have to bookmark that site!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I loved this list. How fascinating to find out the meaning of words. Thanks, I'll be using this resource.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - what a cool T13 list. The tally mark origin is pretty interesting. Never knew that before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting. It's fun learning where and how words originated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great list. How do you come up with these ideas?? Happy TT my friend and thanks for stopping by. And yes, being a single parent is and always has been a struggle but I have no regrets:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:22 PM

    I love our language, and I love learning more about it. Thanks for being the teacher today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always been fascinated with the origins of words. Actually, the origins of many things. I like to know where things came from.

    English (or American?) is such an odd language.

    Smiles,

    Holly
    http://theabundanceplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:48 PM

    I love the definition for friend. :)
    Very cool list. I did not know most of these. Thanks for posting this.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Word origins are always so fascinating. Happy TT. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love etymology. If I ever got myself one of those dictionaries, I'd get lost looking up every word I use. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are so interesting! Who knew Ghetto started out like that?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love word history like this, sometimes it's really surprising how things change over time, or where they originated from!

    Thanks for the welcome to TT, it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous12:15 AM

    I'm such a geek; I love learning the origins of words!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great info. Addition to my knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love word histories. Very cool list and what an awesome site.

    Be sure to stop by and get a piece of cake!

    Happy TT!
    http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous3:45 AM

    I like this T13 very much....I think I found a new toy now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this and I will bookmark it myself. I feel a continual need to enlarge my vocabulary as I want to keep writing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't know about the Online Etymology Dictionary. Thanks for the tip. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cool resource. Thanks for sharing this nifty site! I enjoyed your ‘random list’ … especially #12. Who knew?
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  28. I got hung up on the tally stick. Can you imagine how hard commerce must have been before we could write (let alone issue currency)? Wow.

    That's not to say this is a boring list. More to the point: it's utterly cool and intriguing. I want to absorb all this new info!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous11:40 AM

    I could study words all day. All the MMMM words are saying I love that...while GR says 'give me that!"
    I've actually had quite a few people confer with me on naming their children.

    Radical meant 'going back to the root.' Is that why a radish is called radish.

    I'm getting a late late start. Donald trumped almost fired my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  30. nice list. i like the mamma item. definitely it was a natural word that baby's first learn to say. sadly my nephew's first word is wah! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I cringed in graduate school when I had to deal with Old English and Middle English. OE is especially hard. But now ... the kinds of words you have supplied derivations for are indeed little poems, or music. They are treasures when you don't have to look them up for a grade -:) The opening lines of the Canterbury Tales in ME are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love word lists! This is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous3:32 PM

    I like #3, but #12 was amazing! How does a word go from meaning something so positive to meaning something so negative. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sandy a "tally mark as a stick marked with notches to tally what was owed or paid" is the way Roman Numerals began. I love all the words you came across and the definitions... :D ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am also fascinated by words. Love the list.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow those are really interesting! Thanks for stopping by my TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very interesting list. I found ghetto to be really surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous6:57 AM

    I always seem to learn something here!

    For that reason, I have passed on your URL to the White House; they can all use some learnin'.

    Thanks, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was great, because I am and always have been fascinated with words!

    Also loved the pictures of the buildings...

    Stop by and visit my TT when you get a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is terrific. I have added it to my "favorites" also.

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.