'Why Say the Pledge?'

The other day a fourth-grade girl asked me why she said the Pledge of Allegiance in school every day.

I have been substitute teaching in Waterbury lately to augment the family income, and I have learned that anything that can possibly happen in a day will very likely happen in Waterbury; there are few surprises.

Still, this child caught me off my guard. Immediately, my eyebrows went up. These eyebrows descended from 13 generations of Americans who worked long and hard to make and keep home. We can count ancestors in the front lines of every war this country every fought. My ancestors, paid taxes, voted, and did their best. My parents, small children during the Second World War, can nonetheless remember food rationing, scrap metal drives, stars in windows, telegrams bearing the final word of a loved one. My father and so many of his friends did their time in the military as a matter of course as young men.

You stand by your family and friends, and you do whatever is required in the name of love and loyalty. You say the Pledge. You mention God because only under God can there be liberty and justice.

So my eyebrows went up. But there I was looking into the open face of a fourth-grader who had no idea about any of that, even if she lived in Waterbury, Connecticut--a town Ken Burns featured in his blockbuster documentary The War because it played such an important role in this country's efforts during World War II.

This was a teachable moment. This was an opportunity to teach this kid about the things that make this home--Waterbury--her home. I had about 30 seconds to say something that might make the pledge routine make sense.

I tried: "When you say the pledge, you promise to be a good friend. People in this country care about you. People in Waterbury, in Connecticut, and in the United States are working hard right now and giving some of the money they make so you can be in school all day and learn how to write and do long division, and have a good life. People care about you and want you to do well--and they don't know you any more than you know them. When you say the pledge, you're saying thank you."

I remember learning Connecticut history in fourth grade. I ate it up. What happened where and when came to me through my teacher. Why and how and to what good purpose I got from home. I hope this kid does, too.

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. Anonymous7:16 PM

    I bet you make your parents very proud,nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, when I was in school I wasn't much interested in history. Now that I'm older I wish I had paid more attention and I really enjoy stopping at historical sites along the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Something we do and take for granted is hard to explain to a child. I think you did a very good job explaining it to her. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post and it means such a lot to me today. We don't say a pledge over here in the UK.. we have our Queen and Country.... but that as so much more is being ignored. The Uk is gripped by crime and drug abuse much like so many other great places. Not a lot shocks me these days. but yesterday I was shocked and deeply saddened by a news story about our R.A.F troops.

    RAF Wittering personnel were told not to wear their uniforms in public after some suffered verbal abuse in nearby Peterborough. Senior officials said they were concerned that personnel in uniform could become targets of abuse from residents of nearby Peterborough who oppose British involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq.

    RAF Wittering is one of the oldest flying stations in the Royal Air Force and has played a prominent part both in military operations and in the development of air power dating back to 1916.
    The base has been the home of the Harrier since 1969, and top gun pilots from RAF Wittering have played a major role in all recent conflicts.

    I cannot understand how we can let this happen.. the disrespect for the people who wear their uniform with pride and die because of that pride.

    You post and words have really hit home to me today and for that I do thank you.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you came up with the right answer ... or as right as one can be for a 4th grader. (And the Ken Burns doc was fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:29 PM

    Nice, Sandee, I always feel particularly patriotic saying the Pledge.

    I've been having trouble with my cable signal and will for a few more days so I will try to get around to people as best I can and post as best I can. Now let's see if this comment goes through... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:13 AM

    I loved the way you explained the pledge to this 4th grader. I have one at home and I have a good idea of how they think. It was a very clear picture!

    I just finished reading your book you sent and I was very moved and touched by it. What a wonderful honor you gave those you love! Thank you again for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Sorry, I meant to put my name on this last comment! It is late and it is also spring forward! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad the fourth-grader was guided along the track of finding her identity... It was a great way to answer...

    In India, where things aren't perfect, it is more difficult to be patriotic and it is important to find our identity and be proud of who we are... And it is important to realise how our lives tie in with each other's...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story and definitely a teachable moment and you "done good."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:02 PM

    There's an Andy Griffith episode about Old Ms. Crum and history in which she asks the question about what the pledge means.

    I wonder if the writers in the 1960s were feeling like some kids then didn't know why either.

    Yours was a good answer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Sandy. I think it's a good idea how children do this in schools over there. Our Prime Minister is talking about introducing a "Britishness" day here and getting children in schools to pledge allegiance to the Queen. I'll be posting about it soon on my blog. Look forward to your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a shame that you are only a 'substitute' teacher. These children have only a few moments out of time to learn your values - and that is sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.