Blog Your Blessings: The Flu

Shortly after I told my daughter the world would not end if she missed school for a few days to recover from the flu, my world ended. I caught the flu. The nasty thing stopped my in my tracks: I was hot, I was cold, ravenously hungry, nauseated, tired,delirious, tired, cold, hot, cold, longing to be unconscious.

So began the week. Armed with the doctor-certified information that my daughter very positively had the flu, we climbed into our foxhole and stayed there. Despite her own high temperature and physical weakness, she was a merciless couch warrior at all things strategic: Junior Monopoly, Blokus, Quorridor, Rummy, even Trouble. She seemed to gain strength from her victories as I declined, though: "You're letting me win, Mom," she said. "No, honey, I'm trying like heck to stay in the game."

We called a truce and departed the board game battleground to fold some doves for Easter. We didn't get too far with that project before we opted for a return to complete laziness, though.

The game was over. After a day of feverish couch sitting, cuddling, and reviewing musicals--Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Hello Dolly--and even some Andy Griffith Show reruns on DVD--I realized there was no game. The world did not end. In fact, it went blissfully along without us. If I accomplished nothing, I at least predicted accurately. We still had a world. And, except for some spluttering and earlier-than-usual drooping, we had our health back before very long.

The flu is an awful lot like the occasional power outage that cuts me off from the Internet and from the computer, with which I do my work. We had no power, and we loved it for a good few days. We amused ourselves as a pink and punchy mom-and-daughter team might just as well do because life is short.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

18 Comments

  1. Sad to hear about your flu run-in. It's not a nice place to be - but at least your misery had company. Each other.

    Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. The two birds are lovely, a wonderful picture of you and your daughter. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What precious moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're feeling better. Sometimes God has to MAKE us stop and remind us of what is really important. You and your daughter may have felt physically yucky, but it sounds like it allowed you to share some wonderful mother-daughter time together. I love Andy Griffth! Can you hear me whistling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Carlson... you AMAZE me... it takes a special kind of person to find the silver lining in the flu! Great posting... I must send Sue over to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blessing, and I hope you are both on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:19 AM

    Glad you are both feeling better. I have always heard 'misery loves company'. Am glad you and your daughter could enjoy each other even tho it was not a week of vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you felt while being sick. I just recently recovered from the whole flu package together with the nausea feeling *bleah*

    Hope you're feeling much better already :) Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Those moments, the two of you will have forever. You were there for each other. An optimist will find the good in a trying time. It's a healing in itself.

    The flu hit our household three weeks ago. With twin eight year olds and a teenage son, I was lucky to have gotten it while they were on the mend.

    Well, maybe not that lucky! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:48 AM

    I also wanted to thank you for your visit to my blog and for your kind words.

    Thanks also for your invitation to participate. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, what a positive attitude during your illness! I love the origami birds-- can you tell me a little more why you are making them for Easter?

    I gave up on ever getting back to edit my post I started on Blogger and tried to re-write what I had said before in the old post I just had to add the heading and link to but blogger wouldn't co-operate. I tried to re-write from memory what I had before and it is finally up.

    i think I see another post of yours I hadn't read so going to check out below now! Come and read my BYB post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for always stopping by for a sunday visit reminds me of my childhood when people just dropped in to say hi hope all is well now we had that stuff also took me five weeks to get over the cough GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU SAFE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paulie,
    We fold doves as a symbol of the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear that the flu made a stop at your home, but happy to see your very great take on the experience. Happy BYBS, mine is up...a little late in the day but there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:48 PM

    As we age (ah-hem), it is harder to bounce back from serious illness. Kids are much more resilient.

    I love the doves! Angels on you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those doves! Wish I could make one. :) Hope you're feeling better by now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:59 PM

    It's no fun, the flu bug, unless you have a situation like you've had. My flu shot kept me from getting the full-blown version, but I'd rather have had that than what's been hanging on for a good couple of weeks now.

    While it's a drag, it gives us time to catch up on some much needed rest. Although, it is much more fun when we can choose to take the time to rest up rather having the rest forced upon us.

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear that you and your daughter were ill Sandy. Hope you are both feeling better now. The only consolation was at least you could keep other company and spend precious time together. Take care and God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.