Blog Your Blessings: The Poetry and Music of Another Time

John Denver was the sound of the seventies for me. "Sunshine," "Annie's Song," and "I'm Sorry" along with all those mountain songs filled my childhood. They painted beautiful pictures of idyllic places, dreams I could well imagine as my own. As I grew up with his music, I watched him do what he could to make this world better and kinder.

During my elementary school years, my music teacher would herd the glee club into the cafeteria a couple of times a week to belt out whatever the newest John Denver releases were. She implanted all of the greatest hits and the best of the I Want to Live album into my mind.


Though the music lady in the patterned moo moos and the heavy makeup never taught us a note of music, she filled us with poetry that celebrated the wonders of the natural world, love, and family life. Denver sang to and for the beauty of all life. His was a kind voice to hear in those days.


Clearing out the music drawer the other day, I came across some of these albums on CD. I played them and discovered I still knew all the words, and it was like singing with an old friend. It was just plain nice. And simple. And very warm on a cold day.

Here's "Wind Song," one of my favorites.


The wind is the whisper of our mother the earth
The wind is the hand of our father the sky

The wind watches over our struggles and pleasures
The wind is the goddess who first learned to fly
The wind is the bearer of bad and good tidings
The weaver of darkness, the bringer of dawn

The wind brings the rain then builds us a rainbow
The wind is the singer who sang the first song.
The wind is the twister of anger and warning
The wind brings the fragrance of freshly mown hay
The wind is the racer and wild stallion running
and the sweet taste of love on a slow summer's day.

The wind knows the songs of our cities and canyons
The thunder of mountain, the roar of the sea

The wind is the taker and giver of mornings.
The wind is the symbol of all that is free.
So welcome the wind and the wisdom she offers
Follow her summons when she calls again.

In your heart and your spirit let the breezes surround you
Lift up your voice then and sing with the wind....

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. Anonymous8:43 PM

    That is exactly how I remember John Denver. About love, family and nature. It really was the soundtrack to my childhood and I still love it. Thanks for reminding me of his poetry. He was the first live concert I ever went to. I cried the day he passed. I felt like a little part of me was lost with his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Hope your weekend is fun...

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 PM

    I grew up listening to John Denver on my parents' stereo as my mother blasted away nearly every day. Other than polkas, Christmas music, and an occasional Broadway soundtrack, that's the only music that played on that hi-fi. I didn't appreciate it until much later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reading...as always
    It seems a while since I posted a comment. I assure you it is not through the lack of visits as I still call each day.

    All the very best
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. my daddy had lots of his collection. don't know where are those now.
    btw, i'm signing in with my other blog,
    -kiky-
    cabekritingdailyphoto.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard John Denver. I think I have missed out on some thing. Will check him out!

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this post!!! We are sympatico this week, what a lovely synchronicity of blessings :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, I found John Denver a blessing in so many ways and you encapsulated htat here wonderfully.
    Blessings this Sunday, I love you BYB, I have posted today again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I grew up with him also and a little part of me died with him. Memories of his songs are a blessing to me also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. (dating myself) My father used to lull us to sleep en route home from our family cottage with "The Best of John Denver" 8-track tape... "Grandma's Feather Bed" was my favourite... and my mother used to sing me "Matthew's Song"...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:39 AM

    I think the old music is the best. It just leaves a type of satisfaction, as if everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy, my husband is a musician and when he first started with his music, he taught himself every single John Denver song there was on his acoustic guitar. To this day, he still loves John Denver's music. He was a thinker, for sure. His words embodied the spirit of the wild west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:51 PM

    I must admit, I did not like John Denver. I guess I did not listen to the words. I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. he was the child that I was not

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I married my husband 26 years ago we spent our first several years together in the evening as he played Denver's music on his guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking about John Denver is really too sad for me, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved JD and all his contemporaries, such as PP&M. Saw him in concert and he was great. He was also here in New Orleans shortly before his death. He was a good man, inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Mary,
    You know, as I wrote this post, I spent some time in and out of the WWW looking for images, lyrics, bios. I wept. As a shy kid, I spent a lot of time on my own and with my records. His lyrics were an inspiration and a comfort to me. I could see him as a man true to his vision, and I respected him for that. In that way, he was a steadfast friend (of sorts) for me. And so honest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always think of "Rocky Mountain High" as the John Denver song.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories. So sad, he had to leave so early.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.