Thursday Thirteen No. 18: Valentine's Day Lore

Sure as the grape grows on the vine
So sure you are my valentine
The rose is red, the violet blue
Lilies are fair, and so are you!

Not so long ago, I was up on the historical significance of each holiday and could name the pagans who had a hand in shaping our contemporary festivals. My daughter and I made almost daily trips to the library to fill our book bag with Culturally Important stuff. Alas, my memory bank went the way of the book bag into the great unknown.

Now, while my daughter is reading Culturally Important Chapter Books like Harry Potter and Inkheart, I'm back in the picture books trying to learn a thing or two. In time for Valentine's Day, I've picked up these bits and pieces. I wrote them down before I could forget them.

1. The heart is a symbol of the human heart. That's easy enough. This most vital organ of our being was once believed to contain the soul. In fact, the ancient Egyptians thought it was the source of intelligence.

2. If that naked fellow known as Cupid should poke your heart with an arrow, count on a bout of that most pleasant of maladies of lovesickness.

3. Who is Cupid? That wily little winged sharpshooter was known as Eros to the ancient Greeks. Despite his mother's best efforts, he falls in love and stays in love with the mortal psyche, who proves to be quite a handful. The upshot: Jupiter turns the mortal Psyche into a goddess and they live happily ever after. (Click here for Cupid's back story.)

4. How this handsome, chivalrous god was reduced to a fat, naked baby whose silhouette is often pasted to the sides of shoeboxes that become children's Valentine's Day mailboxes, I don't know. Maybe Cupid didn't have a very good agent. Nevertheless, those

5. Classroom mailboxes also have Roman antecedents. During the Roman festival of Lupercalia, young men would draw the names of young ladies from an urn. In this way, they paired up for the festivities.

6. Lupercalia was a Roman festival celebrating the founding of Rome by Romulus and Remus that took place in what we call February, which comes from the Latin and is loosely translated as "to make clean."

7. Of course, when the Christian church had some muscle to flex, it wanted to cleanse its believers of these pagan ideas and channeled all of this festivity into a day for a few historical figures who went by the name of Valentine. These sainted men died for love one way or another. One committed the heinous act of marrying young couples against the wishes of the war-mongering Roman emperor who believed marriage robbed a man of his vigor. Another restored sight to his jailer's blind daughter.

8. After the sight-restoring Val was beheaded, a pink almond tree near his grave burst into bloom as a symbol of lasting love. Few of us receive pink almond trees for Valentine's Day, though some of us have received

9. Roses, which since the time of Solomon have been closely linked to love. Greek gods Bacchus and Venus favored the rose, as did wealthy Roman mortals, who liked to lie on beds of rose petals.

10. Some of us are just as happy with a Valentine's Day card, itself a throwback to the Lupercalia festivals. Some young men even pinned the name of the young lady they selected to their sleeve. So it's true: Hallmarks really are another way to wear your heart on your sleeve.

11. The priciest of greetings are usually the ones adorned with bits of lace and ribbon. These items recall the tokens maidens would give their knights in shining armor, when they rode off to battle.

12. Of course, before you do any of this, you might want to take a nice warm bath if you want to sit close to the object of your affection. Valentine's Day does herald the mating season, after all. For this reason, doves and love birds are among the Valentine's Day symbols. These feathered friends return to the roost to mate at this time of year. Why not join the fun?

13. If you go to the trouble of bathing, buying a card and flowers, and showing up on time, you might as well have a box of chocolate under your arm, too. This tradition is steeped in history, too. Back in the day when it was considered normal to be hungry all the time, children went about singing Valentine's Day songs and received currant buns for their troubles. The bun has given way to the heart-shaped cake and to the heart-shaped chocolate box.

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. (Song of Solomon 2:12)

Post a Comment

44 Comments

  1. Anonymous8:14 PM

    I needed this post yesterday when I was trying to quickly research Valentine's day for my kids! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well done! this was a fun read. Oh and by the way I love Harry and Inkheart! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, this is lovely stuff! This really gives the holiday a new, more meaningful angle for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. How very, very interesting. :) Happy TT and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:11 PM

    Heh, the comment about Cupid's agent made me giggle. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:19 PM

    I did not know about the pink almond tree. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #10 is so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I love the phrase "chapter books." Really takes me back. I didn't know the Cupid/Eros thing, but it sure makes sense. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Classroom mailboxes and Lupercalia is my favorite bit! I love it when people keep doing things that have ancient origins, even when they don't remember what it means. Like tossing coins in fountains, which used to be tribute to water gods.

    Really loved this T13, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love learning about the history of holidays. It's interesting to see how far back traditions go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have gathered some interesting facts about St. Valentines Day and I enjoyed reading them. Thanks for visiting my blogspot and have a wonderful TT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a nice list to read.

    Happy TT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Valentine's information. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, kudos - this was very well done. I only knew about half of these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. More than we ever needed to know about Valentine's Day.

    Thanks for all your research and information. I live for "more than I needed to know".

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always have such a fascinating take on things. Thanks for being so open and sharing it with us! I learn a lot.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:42 PM

    I had no idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a great post! thanks for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:36 AM

    Hi, Sandy!
    Thanks for the visit.
    I love your TT post!
    Advanced Happy Hearts Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1:38 AM

    Hey there, Sandy.
    Yeah, my son is quite growing up..I hope that he maintain those good traits.

    So, about my WW entry..your hubby has big feet?

    Marikina is known as shoe capital in the Philippines and they made lots of big shoes to further promote its craft.

    I might print your TT post.Some history about love here.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice list. The story of Cupid and Psyche is so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sandy

    Excellent post! Very Weel.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous8:52 AM

    Ima use this in my classroom. Very valuable stuff, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing this interesting list with information I didn't have handy myself but will probably pass along in bits and pieces. I love Harry but am not familiar with Inkheart. Whatever you did with the slideshow made accessing you much quicker this morning. I appreciate it since I always enjoy your T-13s.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:47 AM

    Sandy your posts are always so entertaining and informative. So much information that I didn't know. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing these facts. I clicked on the link for Cupid's backstory. The part of the story regarding Venus giving Psyche a series of tasks reminds me of what Steve Guttenberg's character did to his fiancee' in the movie "Diner" (she had to answer a bunch of football trivia questions or else he won't marry her).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Valentine's is such a commercial holiday these days that no one appreciates it for what it is.

    http://blog.mysocalledsite.com/?p=199 Happy TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. #4 LOLOLOL - Awesome list!
    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very interesting! I love learning things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very interesting. I think I knew some of this from grade school, but a refresher is good.

    http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2008/02/thursday-thirteen-13-fudge-phrases-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous2:53 PM

    What a terrific V-day post. I didn't know any of that about St. Val. I will bookmark it so I can link to it on THE DAY. Thanks for visiting mine...and for your kind words.

    T13 #12 |  Pictures from the (Virtual) Earth:  Thirteen Landscapes

    ReplyDelete
  32. I will be thinking of this post when deciding how or what I'm going to do for Jane this year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wonderful Sandy, thanks for all the info on Valentine's Day and St. Valentine. Do you think the "voice of the turtle" referenced on the Song of Solomon is the turtledove? :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous4:13 PM

    I love this post! Nice to meet a fellow educator (although I am on a mommy break) from Connecticut!

    Happy TT! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. This such an interesting post- I guess Valentine's Day is more than a holiday made up by Hallmark.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey, Teach,
    Yep, I reckon it's the turtle dove. One of those dodgy biblical elisons that leaves some folks with talking turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous11:31 PM

    Very informative. I love the symbology of Valentine's day, especially the rose. Just think, a whole holiday to celebrate love.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a wonderful Valentine's post! I dreamed of baptizing my oldest Valentina, but at the end we named her after another Italian saint, from Siena.
    Regarding the maidens' tokens, number 11, I wonder if today's young ladies who throw varios subjects at rock stars, are aware that that custom goes back to the days of knights. ;-)
    Your quote from the Song of Salomon is among my favorite ones, as sson as there is the smallest sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I meant to write "various objects". My language compartment was not up to the task yet, sorry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sandy,

    You bring light to us all. And understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Realy interesting! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  42. what a very interesting post! i love reading about the origins of things.

    which of the pagans was responsible for odd messages on tiny heart-shaped sugar pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Holly,
    Methinks the Necco pagans are responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi, I'm a visitor from David's blog. Interesting post. You know, I still agree in part with the ancient Egyptians that the heart is the source of intelligence. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.