Thursday Thirteen: Change the World with Your Good Intentions

Over breakfast the other day, a friend and I were discussing the ways in which perceptions create reality: "If this is how I see things, this is how they are." Her workplace is full of gossips heavily invested in the world their perceptions create for themselves and others.

Our conversation brought me back to reading Benjamin Hoff's The Te of Piglet in which Hoff addresses this idea by citing Nadezhda Mandelstam's memoir of Stalinist Russia, Hope Against Hope.

Mandelstam points out that the realist literature of the late 19th century was a response to the pretense and dishonesty of people who pretended to be good. "The unexpected result of this kind of critical writing was that kind people disappeared. Kindess...has to e cultivated, and this only happens when it is in demand. Everything we have seen in our times--the class...warfare, the constant 'unmasking' of people, the search for an ulterior motive behding every action--all this has taught us to be anything you like except kind."

The potential we have to make or break each other by our thoughts and intentions also returned me to the research of Masaru Emoto. This, in turn, brought me to a look at the Global Consciousness Project at Princeton University. Here are 13 of my notes.

Water
1. Japanese scientist Masaru Emoto has gained worldwide acclaim through his groundbreaking research and discovery that water is deeply connected to our individual and collective consciousness.

2. Emoto's research grew out of his curiosity about the molecular structure of water. He wanted to see if it would respond to non-physical events such as mental stimuli.

3. He attached labels bearing words to bottles of distilled water. He found those bottles bearing words such as love and thank you and hope created beautiful crystals. Those bearing unkind emotions created ugly crystals.

4. The correlation indicated that thoughts and intention can affect the molecular composition of water.

5. This raises the question of the effects of our thoughts and intentions on each other or on whole groups of people. Since our bodies are 90 percent water, it would follow that we have the power to help or harm each other simply through our thoughts and intentions.

6. Following the 2005 tsunami in Indonesia, the world focused its prayers and good intentions in the form of relief to the people of that region. For this reason, there was no outbreak of infectious disease there, according to Emoto.

7. The scientist says this should teach us that our intentions shape our world. What we give to the world comes back to us; therefore, we create, and we can solve, our own problems.

Consciousness
8. The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) is is an international collaboration created in 1998 to study the subtle reach of human consciousness in the physical world.

9. The GCP is a global network of electronic devices in more than 50 locations on all continents and in nearly every time zone that produces continuous random data sequences. Subtle patterns in the data are linked with events that cause shared thoughts and emotions in millions of people.

10. The results challenge common ideas about the world as independent analyses confirm the unexpected patterns and also indicate that they cannot be attributed to ordinary physical forces or electromagnetic fields.

11. Scientists do not yet know how to explain the subtle correlations between events of importance to humans and the GCP data, but they indicate that the physical world and our mental world of information and meaning are linked in ways that we don't yet understand.

Old News
12. The wisdom has been available to us for ages, though the science is new. From the Navajo: "When you put a thing in order, and give it a name, and you are all in accord, it becomes."

13. Putting a thing in order and giving it a name could involve revising the past with good intentions in the present and thus transforming the role of history in the present. It is not about changing or eliminating facts but in changing perceptions.


Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

30 Comments

  1. that is an awesome tt! rumor on the street is, power of prayer can basically move mountains!!
    loved this tt!!
    have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just left you an email response to your foot question! Cheers!Hey, I don't see my response to your TT :?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:10 PM

    Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perception is reality. Very interesting stuff. I book marked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great TT!

    While reading the top bit about Masaru Emoto is the scientific probability that the Earth contains as much water as it ever did... no more and no less... as little to none gets out of our atmosphere. It can be "used" in things, but will always return to it's origins...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tt. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really wild. I've never heard of such a thing before.

    But hey, it can't hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know, I agree... we are all prisoners (somewhat) to our own perceptions ... it takes a unique and strong person to step outside those perceptions to look at different views.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks some pretty cool stuff. I love the sound of water, especially at the beach. Its so relaxing. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fully agree with your friend.
    It is how we take it, not how have it.
    I say that as a heart and kidney transplanted plus total AV-block and pacemaker, DVT, skin cancer etc.
    I could have continued to be sick with problems, but I am alive and LIVE although I have some challenges.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very interesting TT. I agree that what we give to the world comes back to us. People should find more ways of caring for the world in order to expect more good things to follow.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful words and thoughts, Sandy, for meditation and tranquility! Thank you for sharing these. Happy TT! Thanks for visiting me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:16 AM

    I remember reading a basic announcement of this work a couple years ago. Your summary really brings it home. This is very valuable, healing information. I will use this in my classroom.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful T-13. I'm familiar with the power of perception and intention but was unaware of the "water" research and appreciate that reference so I can learn more about it. Thanks for moving the audio widget up to the top of your sidebar so I could pause the music. It helped me read the post more quickly than before. Accessing comments was a challenge, however. The slide show widget with the strange things kept me waiting 4 minutes and I almost gave up and went in search of an email address to leave a comment. Instead, I refilled my coffee cup and played briefly with Molly to pass the time. I know MY widgets slow things down on my blogs too and I'm not sure how to manage that. Anyway -- thanks for sharing such interesting and uplifting information. I'll add a link here sometime soon to spread the word.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a thought-provoking post! I love it! #13, especially. Thanks for taking the time to post such a great TT. :)
    (I'll be linking this to some of my friends!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - this is the best kind of T13, Sandy. It's filled me with hope, wonder and intention. Thank you! I really love #12, the Navajo wisdom. It speaks to me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Interesting reading Sandy,
    I agree that by changing our perceptions we can make a difference and this is in the hands of the individual. Great thought provoking post :)

    God Bless my dear friend, have a wonderful day,
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your T13. I'm my own version of Pagan and your #7 is a big part of why I made that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this informative and thought provoking TT. Also, I appreciate you stopping by to comment on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. whats the song on your blogsite? its different and soothing

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sandy, come get an award I have for you on my blog: Work of the Poet :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whar a wonderful TT!

    Thanks so much for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  23. #13....YES!!!!

    You definitely did your homework on your list....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great list! You always come up with the coolest things to think about. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very interesting TT, although my brain must be tired tonight...I struggled a little to follow it. I need to come back and read this when I'm not so tired, because I did find it intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous8:14 PM

    I love that book ( and bought a copy) about water being affected by our thoughts. It really stretched my mind and made me realize how powerful our thoughts are. I wish it would get more coverage. Oprah?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11:44 PM

    Wow, interesting list. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are wonderful thoughts and certainly the way any individual should approach his or her world. Each person should always consider that his or her perceptions color the way he or she reacts with the world, and therefore the way the world reacts back.

    That said, this is not science. This is the sort of thing that makes science really hard to get across to the public. Correlation in no way indicates causation and Masaru's experiments were not conducted to scientific standards such as replication and controls, and so forth.

    You'll probably be angry with me for my position on this, but I feel strongly that art is not science and an artist should market his work that way. Masaru's work has more of the art in it than the science, down to the way he has the water photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your thoughts, Marilyn. I'm not angry but glad you added your voice. I think the work at Princeton goes some way to bringing science to the conversation. The Princeton site is interesting because it has an art side and a science side. Very deliberately done and very exciting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a very interesting and thought provoking post Sandy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.