Blog Your Blessings: Winter?

I love winter. Everything about it: the slow-to-go dark of the mornings, the biting cold, the ripping wind, the bright sunlight, the clear skies, the snow that insulates the world from every sound and wraps it in peace and stillness for a few months.
The January thaw whipped all of that away this week, though. In fact, it got a little carried away with itself, reaching temperatures in the upper 50s and evaporating every last drop of snow and dissolving the ice on the nearby pond. By Wednesday, the only thing winter had left to call her own was the name January.

The thaw startled me out of the peace and quiet of winter and reminded me that things change fast and change again. The same kids who were eager to skate and had tossed rocks onto the pond's ice cover a week ago will be out in their canoes before long. The fishermen who had passed their weekends sitting in huts in the middle of the pond will be leaning on the trees and fishing as lazily from the shore. The heron, the turtles, the geese, and the beaver will wake up and come home and get back to work.

While I was out for a walk one warm day last week, I thought I heard the voices of the boys of last summer on the breeze. One sunny morning, a bunch of boys had been out in canoes. They went ashore when one boy noticed that his craft carried a stowaway: a field mouse who had not paid his fare.

These boys--actually, substantial young men-- had jumped out of their canoe and shouted to the other boys for help. What do we do now? they cried. There's a mouse! They were too stunned by the intrusion of this little mammal brother into their world to do the obvious: go ashore, tip the canoe, and let the little guy out.

The moment was as funny as it was innocent.

The time changes, and times change. But time also returns to itself. Predictably. Winter will return. And that is a blessing.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

12 Comments

  1. I used to hate winter, when I was younger. Now I love the changing of the seasons, and winter has som many beautiful things I never saw before...
    The knowledge that the seasons will always come and go no matter what is comforting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a funny mouse story. You are such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter is back tomorrow with a vengeance. They're calling for a foot of snow. It's only a Blessing when somebody else has to shovel it!

    Happy BYBS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I think alike when it comes to snow! I LOVE IT! We have the same slant on blessings today . . . hope you'll return to see my snow photos! Blogger gave me a lot of trouble uploading them last night but finally I have them on. . . well 3 anyway. You r essay was just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have no winter here but a rainy season. Like you I like it when it gets a little shady, a little cold. I just feel so relaxed. But no storm please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :)

    The incident of the mouse and the young men was indeed amusing.

    I daresay I even thought about what I would have done if I was in that boat.

    I'll keep the answer to myself. :)

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stories... and great thoughts on behaviour/environment... especially the bits about small woodland creatures! Well, Winter is coming back... so time to re-enjoy the season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say I hope you are having a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reminded of something similar last week. My sons (20 and 18) were running around giggling as they set off fireworks. I saw the young boys in the young men. It was a good thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that the daffodils are blooming in England five months early this year. The weather worldwide is changing. I wonder how long your winters will be in the near future? Mahalo for your visits and your blog award! Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:59 AM

    a well written post...i enjoyed how u painted a picture with words

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe, cool story. Bet they still lush about it! And i am glad to see there are other freaks around who love cold miserable weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.