The Great Music of Richie Havens: 'I Call it Breathing'

All my life I have been partial to male singers who play guitars. When I was a kid, I was in love with John Denver. I wanted "Annie's Song" to be for me from someone someday. Those were the days of Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Van Morrison...passionate men who feel deeply, sing from their souls, and , pull you in deep.

Add to that list Richie Havens, famous for such songs as "Freedom," "License to Kill," and Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman." Listening to him at the Warner Theater in Torrington, Connecticut, April 14 to life the magic that used to emanate from the vinyl records on my turntable. (more)

Post a Comment

4 Comments

  1. Your music list could be mine. I'll definitely have to check out Havens. He's completely new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Still remember the yearnings those special voices created, powerful and beautiful resonances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Richie Havens. Do you know he is still kicking? He is going to appear at NO Jazz Fest.
    http://usaer.blogspot.com/2007/04/
    new-orleans-jazz-heritage-festival.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Havens is a marvel. Energy and compassion combined with talent--wow. And what a mix of young and old in the audience, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.