Our World Tuesday: Snow Defines Us

From February 9, 2013
 We had a lot of snow, and that's a good thing. This is New England, after all. We pride ourselves on being able to take whatever Mother Nature flings our way. We quote to death Mark Twain's adage about waiting five minutes if you don't like the weather in Connecticut right now that you might see what comes our way.  We take to the weather's erratic behavior the way we take to oatmeal.  It's there; we must.  Done deal.

This tangle of mountain laurel branches wore its winter coat with unyielding pride on Saturday morning. No sagging under the weight of a heavy load here, thank you very much. I look at this and see a phoenix rising from the powdery fluff.
From February 9, 2013
This bench tells you to come back some other time to rest a spell, though I have sat here in the past to watch the snow fall. A student told me last Thursday she loved snow in the nighttime--the cleanness, the peace, the quiet. That's why we welcome snow days. Yes, we'll make it up in June, but we don't actually care. The beauty of being a kid and of being a teacher around these parts is that you can and will take time out to watch the snow fall.
It's elegant, this excessive snow fall. And when Clyde got up, it was funny.
From February 9, 2013
And it's elegant.  Which I said.
From February 9, 2013
Our World Tuesday

Post a Comment

29 Comments

  1. We don't have snow in our part of the world. It's a fun thing obviously. The pics say so! Nicely Sandy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is beautiful!! Having raised my family in Montana I wistfully remember our fun times in the snow!! Great shots for the day, Sandy! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In that last shot it looks like an angel say in the snow to make wings. Poor little Clyde had to follow along in the footsteps so he could get around on his little legs. I bet they did have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that peacefulness, the quieting. the glow in the night. i do miss that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the peace of falling snow and I like your pictures of snow. I'm glad you enjoy it so much. Happy snow days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Elegant and magical
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:13 PM

    We only received about 5 inches of snow from Nemo. I was hoping for more than that though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love and your snowy shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm good to go, Sandy! I think I figured it all out! Linky and all that jazz.
    I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so beautiful snow pics! if you need still help, contact me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love snow and your daughter and Clyde seem to be having a ton of fun playing.
    My son also goes out to play in the snow and he's 20. The dog loves it too and comes home with fresh smelling fur.
    It's a good life to have a little.
    Here we just look up at the mountains, so close yet so far away and they are full.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oatmeal's not elegant like THAT!



    Aloha to YOU
    from Honolulu,
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  13. My vision of a New Englander's attitude. Here in Oklahoma we pride ourselves on our extreme weather but the threat of snow flurries causes a run on the hardware and grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the snow covered bench.
    I am freezing seeing the shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your winter wonderland provides a lot of photo-ops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:17 AM

    Beautiful snow shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That snow laden bench is a wonderful piece of art courtesy of Mother Nature! Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sandy, you do have the right attitude about snow. Love the bench and your description. Beautiful winter wonderland! Lovely post. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures! Awesome snow ...!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like so much fun I almost....;>)


    Thank you for all you have done over the years of hosting Our World. It was interesting to read the info asking for help and I am glad Jenn stepped up. I'm glad you posted the info, to help the rest of us realize what goes into hosting...

    I was really late joining today because of computer problems.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow you certainly do have snow! Wow that last photo is magical with the swirls and shadows!

    Hope you guys get dug out soon!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great snow shots!! Boom and Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  23. it's beautiful but I don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goodness, that's a lot of snow! We used to use that Mark Twain quote in Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's a lot of beauty in snow. Wonderful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely snowy pictures !!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful snow pictures you show. Wish you a good day :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.