Today's Flowers: The Weight of Dawn


Here is a dew-laden rose that I photographed in April at the New Hanover County Arboretum in Wilmington, North Carolina.  I had stepped out this morning to take photos of the local flora, but everthing had been either reduced to fuzz or fried by frost.  These days I am not in the mood for the end of things; I am looking for what's new.  Finding it today meant looking back.  It's like that sometimes.  I remember when my daughter was little; before every milestone--walking, talking, using the bathroom--there was a step back before the leap forward.  It makes sense that we check our footing before we push off.

Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew. (Saint Francis de Sales)


Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. An exquisite capture and words so true! Thank you for the reminder! Hope you have a lovely tomorrow, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic capture, looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes to be sure.
    One step forward two steps back and then a big leap forward. Always looking ahead

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the quote. We are often hardest on ourselves. Sometimes we have to look back to see how far we have come. That will often give patience for one's self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. They always look good with dew drops. The color is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great quote and lovely photo...I was just making a collage for my youngest son's 29 birthday last night and enjoyed so the walk down memory lane...

    ReplyDelete
  8. THoughtful post. We look at history to learn the lessons. You are right, fried with frost!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great capture with great advice my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some good advice Sandy but there does come a time when we have to MOVE, isn't there? That's the hard part for me I know but without it...change makes it happen but I agree, we must be as sure as we can be before that move is made. And then, accept that we did the best we could and move on from there. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a romantic rose! Patience with yourself! That is so hard :((

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are almost a professional. Keep that thing going.
    merchant accounts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful image and I love the title; the weight of dawn, so poetic.
    I understand so what you mean about ending and something new - there is so much more joy in the novel. But I guess they are somehow connected, when something ends, something new begins.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:27 AM

    I really, truly needed this reminder today. Your words are a soothing balm to chapped, weather-worn thoughts swirling around this December day.

    Thanks for this, Sandy. Until I read it, all I could see was the step(s) backward that I've been feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Sandy. Your wise words really touched me. What a process life is. And what patience is required.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photograph and words

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photo of this rose, Sandy.
    You may like to join my Floral Friday Fotos meme:

    http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. That one step back is the last goodbye before moving on. We do need to take that step sometimes. Beautifully said and a gorgeous photo to match.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.