Blog Your Blessings: Nothing

There was a time not so long ago I decidedly would not have gone out of my way to sit in a room full of strangers, say nothing, drink tea, and then say some more nothing for half an hour, this time with the lights dimmed.

Why? I would have asked in response to the suggestion, as if there were no answer and I knew it. I would have turned away.

Those were the days. And they're over. Now I do exactly that two Monday evenings of every month, when a friend leads a Buddhist meditation at the Episcopal Church in Waterbury, Connecticut.


Why? I don't know why. I have no idea. I know only that being in the company of people who are doing the exact same nothing and want to as much as I do makes me a heck of a lot more mindful when I am doing something elsewhere and with the lights on.


I don't need to know why. Not anymore. And that's new, too. I'm good with the mystery of this meditation, which is about mindfulness, which is about paying attention to everything right down to breathing, every aspect of the experience of the tea in the cup from the heat and fragrance to the flowery flavor, and specifically not hunting around for answers like a hamster making the nighttime rounds through the Habitrail.


I've learned to sit back, be silent, and let things be as they should. I discovered the times I am anxious or angry or upset or hurt are the times the world is out of sync with my hopes or expectations. Far easier it is to let go of the expectations than to try to reorganize the entire world.


The nothing that leads to mindfulness is this week's blessing. So far it has made me aware of the sound of the wind, the smell of the thawed earth, the heat of the sun on my back on even the coldest of days....And how good it feels to wake up.

Wisdom is knowing I am nothing,
love is knowing I am everything,

and between the two my life moves.
(Nisargadatta Maharaj)

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. That poem is beautiful--really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:45 AM

    Hello Sandy! Thanks for the constant visits at my meme entries and I am sorry if I was not able to return all of them. I missed you in my photohunt entry, so I thought, Oh, she might be angry..so I came by...

    By the way, we are just moving to another town but also here in the Philippines.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's not exactly meditation but having my own quiet time makes me feel more appreciative of the blessings around me. I love the poem you posted at the end of your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gellianne,
    Thanks for coming by. Such things don't make me angry! I visit because I want to; that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is the question answered within your own being. An excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, and yes quiet meditation does bring peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:15 AM

    Beautiful blessing - and what a wonderful opportunity to just sit and be at one with yourself and the world.

    Happy BYB Sunday - have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this poem. It has been a wonderful day, keeping warm and poetry certainly puts a spark on my fire!

    Love
    Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:06 PM

    To be quiet and hear the Earth breathe is a blessing. I am glad you find such peace in meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post and it is filled with a lot of wisdom. I also love the quote you put on the bottom.

    I also like the music on your site and I've been wanting to do that for a while. I am not sure how to though. Would you mind telling me how to make that happen. It brings such peaceful rest to my reading when you play it here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could easily join you in this meditation....it's what I do and what nourishes me too. Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...if you can quiet your mind for half an hour you are ahead of the game. As the Buddhists say: want nothing, have everything. Want everything, have nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandy, your posts speak of things that are relevant to everyone at every time, it is wonderful. I had a turbulent time when my love was not reciprocated ten years back. I found peace when I started phasing out expectations in my life and learnt to live one day at a time.

    The quote at the end of this post is wonderful. Who is this Nisargadatta Maharaj? I have never heard of him.

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog, I have added a photo as per your suggestion.

    Have a nice day, bye.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.