Thursday Thirteen No. 17: Ways to Say Good-Bye

The history of the English language tells us that word good is a descendant of the word God,so it's not a leap to say God is at the heart of all things good. The speaks to the place through the ages of the Divine in our personal interactions because good is so much a part of every greeting, which are blessings. I have been thinking of good in the context of good-bye, and this thought sent me on a search for other words used at leave-taking. All are blessings:

1. Godspeed
Middle English: May God prosper you.
2. Farewell
Middle English: a wish of happiness at parting; a last look at something
3. auf Wiedersehen
German, meaning "until I see you again"
4. Goodbye
English: God be with you.
5. Adieu
French: "I commend you to God."
6. Adios
Spanish: "I commend you to God."
7. Slan abhaile
Irish: "Safe homewards."
8. Vaya con dios
Spanish: Go with God.
9. Shalom
Hebrew: peace, hello, goodbye, and wellbeing. Shalom comes from the root verb Shalom, meaning to be complete, perfect, and full.
10. Blessings
from the Old English bledsung: to make holy.
11. Sayonara
Japanese: “If you are living with the Sun, then you must be feeling fine."
12. Namaste
From the Sanskrit: "I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom, and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One."
13. Again, Namasate
"The divine peace in me greets the divine peace in you."
Because goodbye is difficult, Namaste again:
"Your spirit and my spirit are one."

Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

30 Comments

  1. This is a fabulous TT Sandy! Blessings and adieu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:01 PM

    Interesting list! It's amazing how we use certain words and don't consider the deeper meaning.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very informative lists. Thanks for sharing and also for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, beautiful list! Thanks for sharing it (and thanks for visiting my TT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:22 AM

    here in Greece our said "Γειά" "Gia". it means always to have a good health. go and have good health

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting indeed!

    definitely makes language look less boring today :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading this, and I've learned a few things as well.

    I visited You-Tube for a while yesterday and want to say how much I enjoyed 'Child of the Universe' your pumpkin and apple pictures stood out for me.
    'Joy in the Morning' .. ha! it bought tears of happiness to this big guys eyes.. the music was very moving.
    'What you love'... Well I sure loved the Ice shots.

    I will keep calling back there, I have it in my favourites now. To be honest I watched Joy in the Morning 3 times..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very educational TT. I had no idea that Godspeed was Middle English. Also, I really liked learning the translation of sayonara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Unfortunately I will never remember all the ways you told, but it was great reading. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this list. Thanks for sharing! Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:18 AM

    Namaste wins the post!

    Brilliant idea, stretching our hearts through vocabulary. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:10 AM

    I like number 5 since I am re-learning French.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great list! It is amazing how we've lost sight in this day and age that ANYTIME you say goodbye, not to be TOO depressing, but it could be the last time... and a blessing of safe journey AND return should always be given. I know it sounds fatalistic, but I feel that way every time I leave home and ensure that I say a PROPER "goodbye" to my wife and kid... a happy and "I'll be back soon" type goodbye... happy, but as a blessing for their day and mine. Great list again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting... Happy TT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Oh, those were lovely. So much better the just plain ol... 'bye.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! AH CHO! Come on by and bring me some tissues for my Thirteen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yes...most definitely an evil mother in law...actually, for both marriages! oh well, at least this time, my marriage didn't fall into any of my lists categories...
    have a happy tt!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great list. I appreciate you sharing them. I've learned something new today. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice. Makes me want to be more careful of my greetings and partings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous4:53 PM

    Sandy, this is an excellent TT. I love new words.

    Happy thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very good translation! ;)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Happy T13

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow....Neat info! I always learn a lot from you!!

    And I have to say that I LOVE the picture on this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I'd like to add my own Pilipino language for your collection of good-bye words. Our word for good-bye is - "paalam" or "Adiyos po."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow what a great list. I always find your lists very educational. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous12:15 PM

    Each with its own special meaning for those who utter them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Very interesting list. I often sign off when writing, Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  27. awwww that's soo great to hear... :)


    Have a great sunday Sandy!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Sandy:

    Thanks for participating in The Seventh Day this week! I'm happy to include this post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great list! Nice to learn new things everyday.
    I have my signature "chao" goodbye.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.