Blog Your Blessings: the Magic of Markers

Among the Harry Potter- and Spiderwick-related treasures my daughter and nephews received for Christmas were Sharpie markers. One each of the beautiful fine felt-tip pens per kid and some lovely and smooth bristol board on which to try them out.

A few days after the Big Day, I said the G word (graffiti) in front of my nephews, and we were off to the races. My younger nephew, a sharp-as-a-whip five-year-old, immediately crouched down and penned the block letters of his name. He grabbed a box of pastels and began coloring in the spaces with each color. He understands the graffiti aesthetic as we employ it is not about trashing walls but about experiencing total creative freedom. No aunt could be happier.

My older nephew is a tad more conservative: "Aunt Sandy, graffiti's bad."

Not to worry. We broke out the Pixar how-to-draw book and sketched out Woody, Buzz, Hamm, and something named Zurg from Toy Story and were just as happy. Of course, my mind traveled to the legal walls of New Haven, Connecticut, where one is more likely than not to see cartoon characters among the graffiti tags. (We'll go there another day.)

The day wore on and the weather turned snowy, and my husband grew anxious to hit the road.

"Can I color Hamm's toes?" I asked my older nephew, hoping to bring the end to the project just a bit sooner than it would otherwise come.

"No, thanks. I'll do it." Ah, yes, the joy and pride of ownership. Of creating something you're proud of all by yourself. Of wanting, truly wanting, to work alone. No aunt could be happier.

While he colored, my daughter and the little guy moved on to Harry Potter No. 5 on DVD. In a way, though we were all very much involved in the same endeavor. We spent the afternoon plumbing the depths of our imaginations and coming up with this truth: anything's possible.

As the movie and the coloring ended, my younger nephew noticed that I had brought some red, green, and blue Sharpies just in case we needed them. He asked if they were his. I had two of each color, so I gave him one of each.

"Uncle Ed," he said as he ran to my husband, "Aunt Sandy gave me her Sharpies."

To hear him, you'd have thought it was something.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. Those pens sounds like a great present idea Sandy. They will encourage the children to discover their creative spirit. Sounds like they have a lot of talent. They obviously take after you! When I was growing up, we used to have a toy here called an Etch a Sketch. It was like a board and you could do drawings on it. I used to spend hours playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful experience - a true blessing! glad you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:18 AM

    What a wonderful experience for you all and so positive for the kids.

    Happy BYB Sunday.

    Thank you for your wonderful comments and support this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly a blessing! And what beautiful memories to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In business, Sharpies rule... but the larger pretext is how simple and creative outlets are often more "fun" than the usual electronic, instant-gratification things available.

    When we re-enact our historical period with our groups, "anachronisms" are beyond frowned upon... and the Nintendo DS could have you and your family expelled from camp! However, far from moping or generally having a bad attitude, the kids in the camp will HAPPILY start playing with the period toys and things... and being as enthralled with them as they would their PlayStation Guitar Hero XBox stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like you had a great time with your little ones. What a great idea. You sound like a fun aunt! At school I use dry erase markers on white boards all the time, they erase nicely. I also have the colord sharpies for students to use on projects etc. What is bristol board and is reusable? If so how do you get the sharpie marker off?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I was reading as fast as I could because I was expecting to see this "graffiti" and what a disappointment at the end . . . just a photo of a pen! wahhhhhhhhhhh! No photos of his masterpiece?

    What a blessing artistic talents are!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's the magic of kids & markers

    interestingly markers was randomly on my mind earlier in the day though for no reason whatsoever *chuckles*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:27 PM

    Wait until your nephews call and they have painted their masterpiece on the living room wall! LOL

    I will never look at graffiti the same way. Now I have to try it. I need a tag for a 50+ RVer with an attitude... hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Sharpies. That was a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Sharpies....my partner's favorite! I understand that they're hard to get out of things though...so I wondered if the toes are still Sharpie-ized? Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting to see what they write --- highlights aspects of the person that you may not have thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:58 PM

    For a young grafitti artist, those pens were something. Next it will be paint cans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post. Reminds me of the creative fun times I had w/ my grandkids. You're a good aunt while I am a good grandma.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.