Decide for Yourself

Sunday mornings 

At the breakfast table:

“Where’d you get those bruises,

Wife?”


“What bruises?”


“There.  On your arm.  

Both of your arms.”


The dark purple of your skin

Echoes the noise of the litany:

His complaints 

On and on last night.


Too old now

To call you,

To ask for water,

To stop him 

To keep him away

From you,

I listened.


I waited


For you

To subdue

His drunken ire

By apologizing:


“I’m sorry.”


Silence came.


The creak of stairs

And bed springs

Followed

As the argument lay exhausted

Between you.


You survived.

So did we.


By morning,

It never happened:


“I don’t know how I got them.”


You took us to church

So we might know God

And make our own decision

About him someday


And so he could have

Time

To himself,

A break from us.


Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. I don't feel "he could have Time..." or should have time to himself. The denial would have been confronted and fought fiercely by fighting the double torture - the one from the night and the other from the day - to lessen the enduring emotional scars.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.