You Loved Her So

 I sit out back

And think

Of the last things

I said to you.

I wanted to bring you here,

To sit outside and enjoy the garden,

To be alive with you.

That nursing home

Was a bad call,

An express ticket

To the grave.

No joy, no freedom.

People you see today

Leave in ambulances later today,

Never to return.

You missed your back porch,

The freedom of being at home.

I wanted to share mine

With you and the people you love.

I could not know, 

Would not have guessed,

Your other daughter

Would send you so swiftly to your final rest.

You died when she said it was time--

Just gave up that goddamned ghost

In the echo chamber of your soul

That would not admit other voices,

Could not recognize the sound of love.

Your life was not worth the expense.

She said so.  

She stole your last breath.

We didn't know.

You loved her so.

Perhaps you hear us now

As we say again and again,

We love you, Dad.


Post a Comment

0 Comments