Our World Tuesday: The Beach

Adella and I have spent the past several days on Topsail.  We celebrated Christmas a week early so that we could hit the road and enjoy the beach and trade in the jail stripes of public education for these dune fence stripes.  She brought so much homework, though, that we spent many an hour with her working on that.  One big AP history project took about 25 hours.  It was crazy.  I was the sous chef, printing pictures for the timeline and getting out the markers for her and making very insightful commentary on the hair styles of the Forgettable Presidents for her.  (In short:  there were many, many ways to do a comb-over in the 19th century.  I am almost sorry I missed it.)
Christmas night we drove around to enjoy the nautical Christmas decorations.  These pelicans are among my favorite.  They perch atop a little pedestrian bridge in Surf City.   Later that evening, I assigned myself a little pelican homework and discovered the movie Pelican Dreams, which I am intent on seeing somehow.  Dudes have been around for 30 million years, and they deserve a little consideration.

The other morning, Adella and I got up with the sun to go for a walk.  She doesn't talk too much, and I like that a lot in a walking companion.  She's a great kid, and she likes to photograph Topsail, too.  How not to?

Check out this beautiful trailer for Pelican Dreams:


Our World Tuesday

Post a Comment

11 Comments

  1. that movie looks fun and just my rating G!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds as though it was the perfect way to spend the holiday!! Good for both of you!! Thanks for sharing, hope you enjoy the remainder of your holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Sorry your daughter had so much homework. Son had a finals the week before Christmas plus performances. Glad it was over.

    We downsized Christmas a bunch this year. Next year, the day after Christmas, we are hauling butt to Gulf Shores for a week. We have already decided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you and your daughter are forming life long bonds and memories so important between a Mom and child.
    This is the best Christmas present of all.
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that you two have steps that rhyme!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good Idea to go away ! The video is just beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great link and info about a bird I absolutely am crazy about. Each one, especially the brown/gray ones, looks as if it has been around for that many years -- they really do look prehistoric and that fascinates me.

    Lovely lovely to get away for the Holiday (we did that as well), but of course we are always "away" sort of and we never ever have to worry about homework (or those jail bars you were escaping, but we remember them).

    I wish you both a wonderful New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you've got me wondering in George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had comb overs. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:19 PM

    Like taking pictures, too, huh? The apple does not fall far from the tree. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:20 PM

    Like taking pictures, too, huh? The apple does not fall far from the tree. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your comb-over comment had me laughing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.