Skywatch Friday: Midterms, Mornings...

The long-and-fast of January has my head spinning right now.  The snow, the ice, the dark, the days off, the midterm exams, and then that sharp corner that turns us towards Presidents' Day. I have not looked up from student work all week, and it's been a great week.  (I would love for all the people who know what's wrong with America to come to work with me for a few days.  There is plenty of solid reason for hope from where I sit.)  

Our freshman English midterm asks students to identify a common theme between a work of art and a poem.  The poems span the ages and covers a range of artists from Shakespeare to Blake to Dylan Thomas to Tupac.  Our kids can do it.  They see adventure, hope, danger, love, disappointment, and hope again in these works of literary and visual art, and they can say what, how, and why.

I haven't looked up from student work, and it's been a good week.

Skywatch Friday

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. Being a former teacher, I couldn't agree more! but one hand is still useless!! so I can't say (write) more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is cool that they can draw those connections...and i imagine open our eyes to other connections as well that we would not think of...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Immersed in such pleasures! Teaching can be most interesting. Who says it is boring? Nicely Sandy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think teachers in America have an easier time and short hours in school. Here in Singapore, teachers work from 7 am to around 6pm, and they can't rest at home because there will be lots of marking students' worksheets and setting monthly test papers.
    Happy New Year Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you go back to teaching Sandy? When did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Children are so full of new thoughts, they can make you feel 'inspired'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to know that our students are so inspired, thanks to you and all the other teachers. You truly are wonderful. Beautiful scene and photo, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the dose of hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice that in spite of all the work, you've had a good week. Now enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful post and photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a fun midterm. I am glad it is all going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I work with a bunch of people right out of college and I love it. They are a lot brighter and smarter than I remember me and my cohorts being at the same age. I'm very optimistic about America.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been a good week because you are a good teacher! Thanks for sharing the hope and love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.