Skywatch Friday: Thin Places

I've been listening to A Prayer for Owen Meany during my work commute and laughing and feeling the sting of the truth by turn.  I love that book.  Irving is a genius at telling the truth of and about New England.  That what I see really is true--rather than a strange dream--is also comforting.  Today reader Joe Barrett breathed life into the lines of  John Wheelwright as he reflects on losing his mother: “When someone you love dies, and you're not expecting it, you don't lose her all at once; you lose her in pieces over a long time—the way the mail stops coming, and her scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in her closet and drawers. Gradually, you accumulate the parts of her that are gone. Just when the day comes—when there's a particular missing part that overwhelms you with the feeling that she's gone, forever—there comes another day, and another specifically missing part.”

Lines like these are as beautiful and essential as noticing the beginnings and endings of day, of reminding ourselves that it is good to be here.  

Post a Comment

24 Comments

  1. I am learning that you never get over the death of your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure is.Life is special . It's truly a gift and the longer we live the more we lose and then we die alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! That is touching, i can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:07 AM

    So true. And what a lovely shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A particulary lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. Just one thing I'd add: that Irving is a genius at telling the truth (period). I remember those words and when first I read them I'd never even been lucky enough to visit New England.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful thoughts and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good, Sandy. Thank You



    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful image and post, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love that passage. It nails exactly how it is when you lose somebody suddently.

    I might have to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great posting! The words are just perfect ... Sad but true!
    Wonderful sky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful thinking on this! Great pic Sandy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes. It is good to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It IS good to be here and we should make the most of our time here on earth. but I disagree with that writer about people disappearing and being gone forever. Love never dies. Our loved ones are in a different place, they go on and we will too. That to me is an enormous comfort when I'm missing loved ones, now passed on. But I know without any doubts that they are still with us, although not in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A somber phototgraph, that so well reflects the light and dark, and mystery of losing someone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid book - I think what he has written here is important - because it also alludes to the piece by piece way you can put things back together - there is no quick fix (no one stop shop) to move on from grief and loss.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this one a few nights ago but didn't comment. Now I can say I envy you a little. Such fun activities with your daughter and the dogs, must make you pretty happy. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How beautifully spoken by the author.
    I cannot fathom losing someone who is close to me. It hasn't happened to me yet, and I lose my breath when I even think about it happening.
    The photograph is splendid.
    Thank you for your visit to my blog.
    Have a blessed week....
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.