Turtles: Affirming Life on Topsail

The image above captures the tracks of the many turtles who climbed from their nest on North Topsail Beach tonight and made their way into the Atlantic--which was in a slow-moving, welcoming mood tonight even if she kept herself at a distance. 

Adella and I came to the nest for a third time to be just in time to help these little reptiles stay on the ramp that led them to the water. We were among about 25 people who were there for the same reason, and we followed the directions of the Turtle Project people to stay still and be helpful as necessary and to refrain from flash photography.

The first time Adella and I shared in this amazing affirmation of life, we were giddy with delight.  Tonight was different.  Kneeling under those stars, guiding turtles without actually touching them, sharing space with complete strangers who, like us, just wanted to be there and to do a good thing if we could, we realized just how small we are.  The world is as beautiful as it is big.  For all that, though, there isn't any room for ego.

On our knees, we waited for the turtles.  

May we remember when we are at the beach to throw away our trash, take home our toys, fill the stupid holes we dig to create playpens for our children, take down our umbrellas and awnings, and say thank you to the spirit that brought us there in the first place.  

Life is big.  Life is beautiful.  We are small.  May we ever be on our knees waiting for turtles.

Post a Comment

15 Comments

  1. The baby sea turtle tattooed on my shoulder thanks you; as does the mature one also swimming there, Sandy.




    ALOHA from my beach to yours
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YES, Sandy!! I do so agree with all you have written! Thank you for sharing it with us and thank you even more for caring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel the giddiness. Wish I too could join.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been a pretty sight to watch those turtles get to the water.
    I will never forget when I saw a bagful of those turtle eggs in a store in Indonesia.
    I wanted to tell them it was against the law to take turtle eggs but then I thought I better shut up.
    This was the first time I was able to touch a turtle egg and it was quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This world is indeed large...as is the universe in which we dwell. It never ceases to amaze me how mighty our God is and how magnificent His creation!!
    The peace that you must feel as you watch these beautiful creature head toward the ocean!!
    Thank you for loving....

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow what an amazing experience that must have been....i feel a little bit of that awe through your words and it def makes me wish i would have been part of the experience

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great experience for everybody especially the turtles. Who I bet just swam away without a wave goodbye. Good for you you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great things can come from time on our knees. What a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. brought tears and chills. thank you for sharing this magical experience - and the larger message - with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. touching tribute to life...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post, ending with a beautiful life-affirming wish and message... Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Sandy for allowing me to live a little vicariously through you. Though, I couldn't possibly feel what you did, I am thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing something I will likely never see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, Sandy. May it always be so.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.