Skywatch Friday: An Ordinary Day

Just an ordinary night around.  Dell, the pups, and I were cycling back from the park when I saw this and just had to stop.  

Speaking of ordinary, the episode below captures an ordinary experience I had at Wal-Mart recently.  I was going to post it separately, and that got me to thinking about why I would do that.  These Wal-Mart moments happen on days framed by the most incredible of sunrises and sunsets, so why not put them there?  To say this weird moment does not belong with this brilliant one is to miss the point of living through the day, I think.  It is all, after all, good.

“Mama, she’s getting a flat screen TV,” a girl of 11 or 12 years points to the TV lying on the bottom of my shopping cart in the checkout line at Wal-Mart.  She is waiting with her family in line behind us.

Her mother mutters something about seeing it, too.

I empty the stuff in my cart onto the counter.  

“You pay for that TV?” the girl asks me, perhaps curious about why I haven’t loaded it onto the counter, too.

“Yes ma’am,” I smile as I answer the girl.  "When the fellow back there brought it out from the storeroom, I paid for it.”

“That ain’t half the size of the one my daddy wants,” she tells me. 

“That’s right,” her daddy leans into the conversation, resting on the edge of the counter and leaning over the items I am trying to purchase.  “The one I want, you can see from any room in the house and you won’t miss a thing.  One I want’s real big—not like your’n.”

I smile, not knowing how to respond, and turn toward the cashier.  They put their king-sized Reese’s peanut-butter cups and Snickers bars on the counter and wait for their turn. 

Their dreams are bigger than my reality.  Any day.


Post a Comment

25 Comments

  1. Love the Wal Mart moment...
    And that photo!! Oh my goodness.
    God is so good. What a beautiful sky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Wow. Talk about insecurities.

    That sky is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a hoot!! And aren't we the lucky ones!! Gorgeous skies to end a wonderful day! Terrific capture!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. an interesting exchange. :)

    i like all the power lines across that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sky, and a sad/sweet story. Thanks for sharing both with us.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pic and I'm just flummoxed by the Walmart Story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sky shot, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right Sandy ... all sorts of things happen in our day ... that's life ... your beautiful sun-set capture would look spectacular on any sized screen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful sky Sandy! Quite the story, I think maybe with thiking like that, those people miss a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha. makes you wonder what they are trying to make up for with the size of their tv eh? smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  11. All sorts of comments unsolicited. Just so to appease young hearts who may not be aware that money has limitations. Great sky shot Sandy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shot, Sandy!

    You meet all kinds at Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being good natured, and a sincere smile, is my way too; and why I love you, SandySister. Being judge sucks, trust me it doesn't make ya happy or pleasant to be around.

    My Friday post is in the same vein:
    "Other folks and what to do about them :)"

    Thanks Lord, for another ordinary treasure.

    Amen & ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ><}}(°>


    ReplyDelete
  14. Snarky me thinks about comments that would left be unsaid about men and their large toys.

    ReplyDelete

  15. I doubt if you ever have an ordinary day Sandy! The ability to fully see and experience every day's joy and beauty and still laugh at the silly little interruptions is a true gift.


    Maybe somebody told that guy once to dream big (and he interpreted it differently from the way you and I would).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the picture. The sky is big enough to cover the ordinary day's dreamers as well as those awake who keep their feet on the ground.,






    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:54 AM

    I loved your description of your Wal-mart moment. The amazing sky you captured, the small details of that encounter - for me the ordinary and extra-ordinary moments are the beauty of life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never know what will happen at the Wal Mart. ha... The sunset is gorgeous. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you shared the story, it's good to dream big and good to have our feet planted on the ground in reality so we can view the sunsets, allowing the sky to be the grandest screen into beauty of all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:40 AM

    I feel sorry for the child living her dreams in her parents head and getting hefty on king size candy bars to ensure her future is no better than theirs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Walmart is becoming a people watching place, I enjoyed your story. I would be leaving there just shaking my head. Lovely sky shot, Sandy! Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great episode from WalMart.
    The pic is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful light!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well I guess if you're going to dream, it might as well be big. That sunlight dreams bigger than I can.. just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sandy, what a moment! I love the way you summed it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.