Today's Flowers: Primrose




Primrose
Upon a bank I sat, a child made seer
Of one small primrose flowering in my mind.
Better than wealth it is, I said, to find
One small page of Truth's manuscript made clear.
I looked at Christ transfigured without fear--
The light was very beautiful and kind,
And where the Holy Ghost in flame had signed
I read it through the lenses of a tear.
And then my sight grew dim, I could not see
The primrose that had lighted me to Heaven,
And there was but the shadow of a tree
Ghostly among the stars. The years that pass
Like tired soldiers nevermore have given
Moments to see wonders in the grass.
Patrick Kavanagh

Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. a gorgeous little bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad and the beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite blossom and, yes, the sad and the beautiful together it is! Hope your weekend is going well, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, that is a gorgeous photo of a delicate little primrose, so pretty, and I love the poem too. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the poem and photo! touching...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful delicate flower, and I love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty! the vividness of its color is attractive.

    Today's Flower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely words and bloom, happy to find you still here, I have just returned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is almost the time for prime rose in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I guess many of us have not regained the faith and wisdom we had as a child. Lovely poem Sandy. Beuatiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful poem and image.
    The name of this author will always make me smile and reminisce, due to personal reasons.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the water droplets, and the sun coming through the petals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. once upon a time.....I had one of these beautiful ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these little gems, so perfect. What a beautiful poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a beautiful primrose and a very touching poem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flower - beautiful words :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely -- primroses have the deepest most elegant colors and they are so welcome in very early spring (a season which I miss -- in both senses of the word -- these days). Thanks for the poem and the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great poem with the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.