Today's Flowers: Mums the Day of the Storm

From October 31, 2012
The day of the storm, Harvey came to mind--the bit about choosing kindness over smart because it's better.  I love Harvey because, the way I read it, it's about loving life in whatever shape or form it presents itself.

Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, "We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella." Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments. We've entered as strangers - soon we have friends. And they come over... and they sit with us... and they drink with us... and they talk to us. They tell about the big terrible things they've done and the big wonderful things they'll do. Their hopes, and their regrets, and their loves, and their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. And then I introduce them to Harvey... and he's bigger and grander than anything they offer me. And when they leave, they leave impressed. The same people seldom come back; but that's envy, my dear. There's a little bit of envy in the best of us. (Elwood P. Dowd, Harvey)

Post a Comment

19 Comments

  1. Beautiful photo. Have a great weekend. I hope all is well with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you? I love the photo. I hope the hurricane didn't harm you. Relatives of mine live near New York and have got a flooded garden and garage. They have no electricity. It must be very difficult for them and for so many others whose houses are
    demolished by the gale. Our thoughts are with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. flowers remind us that all is well with the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great line: All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're doing well! Love your post for the day and what a great quote! Thanks for sharing, Sandy, I always love your attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the Harvey narrative. "choosing kindness over smart because it's better" is my kind of thinking...well, i try, most of the time.:p

    wrinkled pink flower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely flower, so pure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only we could all be like Harvey the world would be a better place

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Harvey.
    Beautiful photo.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely approach at thoughts.
    You embrace happiness in everything that comes along. Beautiful Thoughts.
    :) Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for sharing these thoughts and the bar scene. I often think that life is about 'being with what is'. "Can i be with this"....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful flower beautifully photographed! And so love the "Harvey" extract! Such beauty and truth in these words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all need a little Harvey in our lives lol
    Especially these days.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been a while since I have seen that movie...the quote brought back memories and a chuckle. Lovely photo of the mums.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the photo and the except from Harvey. Thanks Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The photo's beautiful and hopeful. I've seen the play a couple of times and the movie but never read Harvey...that's lovely, gives a new perspective. I'm going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a deep and nice story! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.