Our World Tuesday: Salem, Massachusetts

We visited Salem, Massachusetts, over the weekend. October is a big month for tourism in that city. Little did we know how big! The merchants and others told us we were lucky to be there early in the month, before the place is packed! Here stands town founder Roger Conant at the top of the Salem Common.
From Salem, MA
Though he stands outside the Witch House, he had not part in the witch trials. He was a political leader and a settler who did his share of good before he died in 1679. (Salem, by the way, is a variation of Shalom, or peace.) We had a look at Witch House, which was the home of Judge Corwin, who presided over the investigation of the 19 women accused of being witches. His court sent these women to their deaths. Every woman maintained her innocence until the very end.
From Salem, MA
Corwin lived pretty comfortably in his home for many years. This is the only surviving property with direct connections to the witch trials of 1692.
From Salem, MA
From Salem, MA
Have one of these in your house? It's a lararium, or spirit box. People kept them in their homes and made offerings to the spirits they felt resided within. To ward off evil spirits and bad events, people would put poppets and shoes and other personal effects inside the walls of their home. This practice came back to haunt some folks during the witch trials.
From Salem, MA
Here are some pictures from a window display at the Witches' Dungeon, which is two blocks away from the actual holding place of the accused women but close enough for a tourist trap.
From Salem, MA
From Salem, MA
From Salem, MA
Salem, Massachusetts, is a richly interesting, beautiful place. More later!

Our World Tuesday

Post a Comment

22 Comments

  1. what a contrast salem-peace and the witch trials...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:40 AM

    That house is beautiful - but the story of the 'witches' a sad one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard of witches before. Never thought there were women put on trial purported to be one. But 19 of them?

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have driven through Salem before but didn't get to stop and do the touristy things. Nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. another sad era of fear and the power of 'gang' mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting place - it seems my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never considered Salem as a tourist attraction. But, as Halloween approaches, I get it. Thanks for the pictures and the history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree with Tex, a sad era indeed! Fear and gang mentality is something we don't want to repeat!! A really interesting post, Sandy, great history lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet they get a lot of business this time of you. A real life historical spook show! Even though I grew up in Mass. I've never been. http://looseleafnotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Massachusetts and I've never been to Salem around Halloween. It's on the list! Nice post, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prejudice and discrimination still abound. Some of the people who first came here for liberty did not grant it to others who looked or acted different. Interesting look at Salem.

    There seems to be a problem with the "Our World" links, they are counted, but not displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. reminds me of Fall in my East Coast childhood. . . .

    Aloha from Waikiki,
    Have a sweet week
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can only imagine how crowded Salem is during the month of October. I imagine the tourist traps are hard to avoid, but I'm glad the judge's home is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting, I visited Salem way back when in the 80's in early May. Not many tourists then.

    It is hard to imagine executing people for witchcraft.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandy, I have been there a couple of times. that whole witch trial thing gives me the creeps. It was so unjust!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting sights!
    So many stories there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great shots!
    maybe you can put the link from inlinkz again in and it will work?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah Salem, love the photos, thanks for sharing...
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am I happy that I didn't live in this time ! I would certainly have ended up as a witch ! very interesting post !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course it makes sense that Salem would be a big October destination, but I never thought of it before. Interesting pictures and shivery to think about that era (and even scarier of course to think of the more modern examples of that kind of thinking).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with Gattina
    I probably would also have been called a Witch as I love herbs and gardening and in those days I guess only the Indians understood about plants and their healing properties.
    No wonder I don't like having anything around my neck. Maybe I was someone who was hanged back in time.lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Truly interesting place to visit.;) It is funny how human beings are always scared of what they do not understand. It is sad to ponder how many smart, innocent women lost their lives to this stupidity...
    Have a great rest of the week dear Sandy;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.